Aaaaarrgggh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaaaarrgggh!

I bought a will today of a distant relative, hoping to fill in more of the descendants of my ancestors. The will did confirm her parentage: her mother was Mary Brook. It mentioned her aunts Elizabeth and Ann Brook. Just one problem: I haven't got Elizabeth mentioned among her grandparent's children.

No problem, I thought, the baptism may have been missed.

Then I realised that another couple in my tree do have both an Elizabeth and an Ann. The problem is that that couple's daughter Mary is (I thought) my direct ancestor, the wife of my ancestor George Tickle.

So, now I'm wondering if I got my marriages mixed up, and maybe the Mary I thought had married George Tickle had instead married Richard Phillips, meaning that I no longer know who the parents of my direct ancestress Mary are, though I'm still quite sure (I hope) that she's part of the family I've been researching (a witness at her marriage was a man who married into another branch of the family).

:(

Yes. That just has to be one of the most exasperating things when you get a new chunk of info.

I had a couple of similar things with the 1911 - on friend's trees, where I hadn't been buying certs, so as not to be intrusive. I did have the right overall family, but had managed to conflate a couple of people and so mixed up the going-backwards line. I had to re-think all the joins. Sadly, it meant that a whole lot of detailed info (seaman's service records, baptism record, and suchlike) that I'd got for one of the trees was for the wrong branch of family - for the namesake. Fortunately, the info I'd collected wasn't all completely wasted.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The worst of it is that that parentage was my gateway to generations of research and relatives found. I have literally reams of paper listing people, marriage, births, deaths, whatever, or of which will be wasted unless I can fix this up. :(

Comment

That's so frustrating.

I strongly recommend you have plenty of back-up for the trees you have now, before you start amending anything... just in case.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          That's so frustrating.

I strongly recommend you have plenty of back-up for the trees you have now, before you start amending anything... just in case.

Christine
          Don't worry: I'll keep a separate PAF backup of the tree as it is now.

I guess I'll need to ask someone to do a search for wills of each of my Mary's fathers, maybe siblings as well, and hope that her married name is mentioned. :(

Comment

Working...
          X