Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck and need advice

Hello,

I am stuck on a potential Quaker connection and wonder if anyone has any advice as to where I can buy, if possible, any Quaker records. I have been on the Quaker site and they are updating so their book library is no fully available at the moment. But I don't know if that would include actual 'parish' records'. I know what records I want to look at, just not where I can buy them. The records are available at the Cheshire Record Office ( I have asked for a separate look up), and also at Kew but don't actually mind buying transcriptions if they are available. In turn I would then have them to, hopefully, help others.

The genealogist has some Quaker records, but I am not (paid)subscribed.

It would cost almost £40 to subscribe to a no credit access, something which is for me only a single look up, wouldn't be economical.

Thanks very much for reading,

treesa

I had understood that there may be some Quaker records at - or going to be at - the Birmingham Record Office (or thereabouts).

You don't give any indication of where you're based, so not sure what's feasible to suggest.

Are there any ideas in the FTF Wiki? Or relevant research guides from TNA?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I would be surprised if anything is online. You say a potential Quaker connection - does that mean you aren't actually sure yet?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks very much for your replies. Not having found baptisms for two people, yet two of their children were baptized as adults, but as C of E. I do think they were Quakers. Another child's marriage was Quaker. It sounds very 'iffy' even to me. But I think I am on the right lines. Sorry if I haven't much to work with. I was hoping that the records would be purchasable, by myself, as I'm sure others may be able to make use of them.

Comment

I think some Quaker records have been filmed and are, possibly, available through LDS libraries.
          Worth a look at LDS resources, perhaps?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks very much for your help, much appreicated.

Comment

What area in Cheshire are you looking?
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Treesa, could you give us some names and some details, as we may be able to help you further with more information?

I have Quaker ancestors, and so do others on this site, so we might be able to help.

Was this the website you looked at:

The Library | Quakers in Britain

You could always put a look-up request on the boards - I might go there in a couple of months because I would like to see some records for myself.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

There are some Quaker Records on BMD Registers BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service
                  Credits cost £5 for 10, £10 for 20. Standard searching is FREE; viewing a full record or page image costs 5 credits; performing an advanced search costs 1 credit.

Hope this helps
                  Sue

Comment

Thanks again for your help.

There are some records on the non parochial site mentioned, and I was thinking of paying to look, but I don't think they will tell me anything more, as I want the next generation back and there aren't these available.

I am looking for Peter Winpenny bc 1776 Gt Budworth, and Alice Winpenny (MN), bc 1766 Antrobus. These were married in 1796 in Warrington. It is their baptism I can't find, hence I am stuck. I have been going round in circles for a while now hence my posting on here.

treesa

Comment

Treesa, I am going to Northwich library probably end of next week to look for some Gt Budworth entries. They do not have an awful lot of info at the library but if you pm the details I will look for you. Do you have any more info to pinpoint the correct Peter?
                      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

if its of any help, I have the birth records for peter and alice's children Alice, John, James and Peter. A marriage record for John Winpenny, Peter's son and a burial record for another son Robert. If you want them, pm me

Comment

Working...
                        X