Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Hi

I am currently researching my MIL's family tree for her. She is visiting today so I could show her what I have so far (not written up, nor as complete as I'd like or how I would like it to be printed out properly) or I could leave it and give it to her as a 70th birthday present in November. By this time I would hope to have a lot more researched, certificates bought and written up in a more meaningful way for her.

My husband thinks maybe I should just tell her what I have (he's not interested!) and we will buy her something but do you think the family tree (as she has wanted me to do it for years!) would be a more special birthday present? We are all going away for a week as a surprise for her birthday to some large swanky house. I have an 8 month old baby so she believes me when I say I don't have time at the moment.

Sorry, posted in here because she is due sometime this afternoon :D !!

Thanks in advance

Jo
    :D Charney Jo

If she has expressed an interest in having the family tree done, then I would save it for her special day and give it to her in a nicely presented format. You could also have the tree professionally printed - I would recommend Genealogy Printers - I've seen some lovely trees that they have done and they are not too expensive.
    Genealogy printers
    Elaine

Comment

Hi,

If it is any help - these are my thoughts. I think it would be a very special present and she would really appreciate the thought and effort which you had put in to it. However, with a young child will you have the time to be able to make it as special as you would like? In my experience you need to order one certificate, wait for it arrive, do the research which this offers up and then send for the next certificate - the process of which takes time.

Sandra

Sandra

Comment

Hi

Thanks. Yes, she is interested - I have done (or should I say am doing - it's neverending, isn't it?) my FIL's and she has always been keen. She has offered to pay for anything I find but of course if it was a present it would be our gift. I would just update my FIL as I went along and, although he enjoyed it, I think being presented it in a book format would be much more interesting for her.

Sherbertrose, I agree with what you say but I have already done quite a bit of research. I already have the certificates I need back to the 1840's and know that they are right (they proved quite elusive at first!)

I have started a book - with some background history of places etc. - so think I will plug on with that and I like the idea of getting the tree professionally done. Thanks again Elaine! (By the way, I will need your help with a cause of death in a mo if I get time to upload before they arrive).

Thanks again

Jo

Comment

I wrote up the family history of my Maternal Grandparents and gave it as a present to my Sister, Cousin and Auntie and they all loved it.
          They weren't even interested either until I presented them with my findings, photo's, some certificates, family stories, background of occupations and places lived in.

Regards
          Jill

Comment

I know that a church friend of mine, for whom I did a very hasty under-researched tree in a few weeks, was thrilled to bits with it for her birthday. I've since added, refined and corrected quite a bit. Each change has been the occasion for another visit (beyond my other drop-ins) and she clearly loves it - especially as she is interested, but her daughter (only child) is not.

I used one of those presentation ring-binders which allowed me to put a sheet into the front with her name on it... something like "The Family Tree of D****** F*****" in a nice elegant font on parchmenty paper. Then I printed the individual sections of tree onto parchmenty paper, too, and added in the print-outs of censuses and whatever else I'd found, using the trees as dividers between family names.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 04-09-09, 16:51.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I have quickly hidden the things and will put them away until she has gone. Hopefully 2 more months will let me get as much done as I hope (as you say Christine, I can/will always add to it).

I just need to keep focussed on her line now ... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                Thanks so much for your thoughts. I have quickly hidden the things and will put them away until she has gone. Hopefully 2 more months will let me get as much done as I hope (as you say Christine, I can/will always add to it).

I just need to keep focussed on her line now ... :-)
                Not forgetting that FTFers are a sentimental lot and will certainly be willing to help you out, if you need anything!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, thanks Christine. You guys have been helping already - it is very much appreciated! I'm sure there is more to come too.

It's almost killing me not telling her as I think (part of the family that I haven't researched properly yet) one branch of her family came from the same village I live in now. Complete fluke as we only moved here after a very roundabout (round Europe!) route. Nobody we know lives in Oxfordshire and it was only for work that we moved here. In fact, this is our second village and like it so much we plan to stay. I like it even more now knowing our little boy was born here and has a family connection! Is that sentimental enough for you Christine :-D!!?

Comment

My aunt was overjoyed when I gave her a family tree folder for her 90th. birthday. I had managed to unravel a family mystery about her grandmother.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oxfordshire FHS has some very useful parish register CDs. Have you looked on their site?

And you are likely to get to see original registers at the Oxford Record Office - so be sure to be prepared.

Christine

Comment

I wrote up a book on both sides of the family for my parents on their 60th wedding anniversary and they loved it and the rest of the family were also very interested in what I'd found. Ron at Genealogy Printers does a great job on family trees too.
                        Jenny

Comment

It will be a lovely surprise Charney Jo. I still remember my Dad's tears when I gave him what I researched so far about his family for his last birthday. He is in his mid 70's and never knew a lot about his father's family as his father died during WW2 when he was very young. It was my first attempt at "scrapbooking" and he loved it. I have since added to "the story" and he can't wait for the next instalments. Mum is now waiting for hers!!!
                          oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Comment

I think it is a great idea to have it all done and in one place. It is more readable then, and you will always have the certificates etc to back up the info. Copies could be more easily made for maybe other members of the family that may become interested.--- as we know genealgy is addictive!

Comment

Thanks all. Just an update. Well I survived the night without letting on. I even managed to give my FIL the printout of his father's WW1 service records (could have sworn I had done that before but oh well) and just told her that when I get some time I really will start to look. Just need to get down to it now.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I am really looking forward to it now!

Comment

Hi Christine

Thanks, looking forward to it! I need to look at the Warwickshire Family History Society / Record offices first. Just as well I live where I live (and hope my hubby doesn't mind a few days out and babysitting!)
                                Last edited by Charney Jo; 05-09-09, 14:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X