1871 Census Brick Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1871 Census Brick Wall

I am having great difficulty in tracing my gt gt grandparents in the 1871 census in the East Retford area.
    George Ellis Boardman aged 34c born Clarborough a joiner.
    Wife Georgiana aged 33-37c born Blidworth Notts.
    Children George William born 1859, Arthur born 1863, Emma born 1865, Anne born 1867, and maybe Fred born 1871.

I have them in the 1861 living in Moorgate and in 1881 living in Sugdens Yard East Retford but where are they in 1871? There is a family in 1871 with mother Sarah and the same name children but no husband named so I don't think this is my family.
    Please can anyone help me break down this brickwall?
    Thanks in anticipation, Sue

I would certainly consider the 1871 census you have found. It looks a good match to me.
    The children´s name certainly match, and Sarah is listed as a Joiner´s wife, which is the occupation of husband George.
    Have you traced Georgina back - does she have a middle name of Sarah?
    Elaine

Comment

Georgiana's ms was WALSTER married 1859 her birth and baptism are on IGI - no other forename

Comment

I can't see a death for Georgiana between 1871 and 1881 Nottinghamshire

Comment

Georgiana is listed on the 1881 census with George.
          RG11; Piece: 3302; Folio: 101; Page: 10
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks for your help - don't know any other name for Georgiana but even if she is the Sarah where is George? sue

Comment

of the children on your 1881 entry, IGI has Georgiana as the mother of Emma, Anne and Mary E.

I can't find anything 1871 either, apart from what Elaine has already posted

Comment

I´ve been searching for George but can´t find anything.
                Elaine

Comment

It's odd that the 1871 children are a match but Sarah is given as born St Swithin, Lincolnshire and not Nottinghamshire as was Georgiana on the 1861 and 1881 censuses.

I've also drawn a blank on finding a George away from home who is a joiner. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    It's odd that the 1871 children are a match but Sarah is given as born St Swithin, Lincolnshire and not Nottinghamshire as was Georgiana on the 1861 and 1881 censuses.
                    It could all depend who gave the information to the enumerator.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Did you know that eldest son George William is in Sheffield in 1891 with his family, the youngest child being the same name as his grandfather? they are indexed as Bordman

Class: RG12; Piece: 3839; Folio 31; Page 1; GSU roll: 6098949

There is a Georgina Boardman dies Sheffield 1890.
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-09-09, 21:26. Reason: add

Comment

Thanks everyone for looking. Yes, Georgiana dies in 1890 and George remarries in 1891. Perhaps I'll never find them in 1871. She definitely comes from Notts and not Lincolnshire. Oh well, it's just another little mystery that probably will never be solved.
                        Thanks again Sue

Comment

have you tried tracing this family you found backwards or forwards in the census records? If they exist at the same time as your family, you'll know that they're not your family.

Comment

Confusingly there is a George Boardman 36 with wife Sarah 35 and a child Louisa 6 in Bethnal Green. His occupation is carman. I checked the FMP and it only has 3 George Boardman's around that age.

Comment

I think it must have been very confusing to have 2 Georges - and I doubt Georgeana would have been used as a name in full! I suspect Sarah is the name she used and her husband would have given her "official" name on the form, whereas she has used her usual name. There is no sign of him in 1871 - either he was missed off, or he was staying somewhere that they mis heard his name and gave it incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X