Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Forname for Father?

I have a general question really.
    While searching through the North Clifton, Nottinghamshire parish records for the baptism of Richard Hough c1770. I found the appropriate record and it stated: May 13th 1770 Richard son of Hough. It gave no christian name for the father.
    Other listings had christian names for the father listed, but a number didn't they just had surnames.
    My question is does anyone know if there's any significance behind this, i.e. he may be illegitimate (I never could spell that!) or they just didn't fill it in for some other reason?

BourneGooner

I think the parson hadn't noted the forename of the father at the time and couldn't remember when filling out the register.

I'm sure the mothers would have been given their full names (for all the world to see) if the children had been illegitimate.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I can see the entry you mean.. there is another baptism in 02/03/1772 of Esther, with parents Stephen & Amy Hough, this could be a sibling to Richard. But it would need careful examination of the Parish Records or Bishops Transcripts to determine whether this is correct or not.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
      X