Dating Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating Photo

Could somebody put a date on this Photo which I found in the family photo box. I am trying to work out if its my Grandmother bn 1896 or My Aunt bn 1920. Any Ideas?

Going on the fact she is wearing a wristwatch (which is obviously far too large for her little wrist so is pushed up the forearm) I would put it at the later date. She also seems to have swansdown trim at the neck and cuffs which I have seen on childrens photos in the 1920s.

Comment

Thank you Jill , I never noticed the wristwatch?

Comment

Ummmm, I think it's earlier wrist watches started to be common about 1850 and by 1900 it was possible to get a decent quality wrist watch. Also I know that the Edwardians considered swansdown to be suitable decoration for babies stuff. Her big bow and her ringlets look to me to be before ww1.

Comment

Any clues like a photographer's name or address on the back?

Comment

Sorry Jill
            Theres nothing on the back or front, My dad only had one sister and no female cousins so its hard trying to work out who it could be I can't think of anymore females apart from my grandmother and aunt?

Comment

The little socks and shoes look exactly like photos of my mum. She was born in 1920.

Anne

Comment

The photograph reminds me of one of my late half-aunt, who was born in 1928, when she was about 2 years old.

Also the quality of the image, length of dress, style of shoes, bow in her hair etc, which shouts 1920 at me. To me it's far too 'modern' to be late Victorian

Comment

Working...
                X