Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry upgrade to premium?

I am wondering how much info there is in the
    "Access invaluable pre-1837 Parish and Probate records " ?

... the upgrade from normal to premium

Are the London Meropolitan records there as I am looking for information from the Hampstead workhouse which I understand are included there..

If you can bear to wait, you may find you have the leverage at renewal time to get the Premium sub for the price of your existing one - or not much more - if you contact them to say you're thinking of giving up. Unlike FMP, they haven't clocked the idea of a loyalty bonus!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine ...

... now that I what I call good advice!

Comment

I complained when my renewal was due last year that they had downgraded me and they gave me premium at the essentials price for 12 months
        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
        http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          I am new to the site and have been reading through all the posts, found this one and decided to jump in and ask what grade do you think would be right for a first timer on ancestry, it`s a lot of money if I get it wrong.
          many thanks
          golden girl

Comment

Welcome, Golden Girl.

You can get a lot done without Ancestry - but you'll still want to find somewhere to get sight of the census and other images, to get around the hazard of [a] mistranscriptions (of which there are acres of horror stories!) and [b] info missed from the transcriptions.

You might consider getting a basic sub for the first year, and then expanding later as you get all you can from what you can get at. It rather depends on how far you've got already.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sometimes you can get Ancestry at local libraries, so it might be worth checking what is available near you.

Comment

Which sub you need also depends on what you're looking for, e.g. UK only, also US, Australia, etc.

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them.
                  I think I might try the library first, and then do the basic sub and go from there.
                  Thanks again
                  golden girl

Comment

FMP is FindMyPast.

Family Tree, Family History, Find Your Past, UK | Findmypast.com
                    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 08-09-09, 09:33. Reason: adding web address
                    Barbara

Comment

I made them refund my renewal sub a short while ago as I objected to them retaining - and using without asking - my credit card details. Have today received an email ' sorrowfully ' asking why I left and offering a 20% discount on renewal. Think I will hang on for a little longer and see if they better it !

Comment

I get the "sorrowful" e-mail from Ancestry about once a month asking why I left & haven't renewed - but my annual subscription doesn't run out until November!

Comment

Answering for Christine.

It's Find My Past another site with census returns etc.

Linda

Comment

Thanks for your help, Linda.

I hadn't answered, because it seemed that Barbara had already done so at # 11.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by MrChips View Post
                              I am wondering how much info there is in the
                              "Access invaluable pre-1837 Parish and Probate records " ?

... the upgrade from normal to premium

Are the London Meropolitan records there as I am looking for information from the Hampstead workhouse which I understand are included there..
                              Are the London Metropolitan records anything to get excited about?

Will they help me in my workhouse quest? any ideas?

Comment

The LMA records are great but as yet there's not many on Ancestry. I'm waiting until they've put more on before I upgrade.

Comment

Its quite a difficult one to answer because Ancestry are adding stuff all the time. At the moment for Hampstead there are Creed Registers, some admissions and discharges, Registers of Apprentices, Registers of Servants and Registers of Children Boarded Out.

However that is not necessarily for all dates. The records can't be searched like, for example census returns (unless I've missed something ) so you have to find a likely volume and then browse the images.

Having said that I would imagine if you manage to find what you're looking for (I haven't yet because the ones I want aren't on there) its really useful.

If you went to the LMA you would end up browsing fiches but this way you can do it from home
                                  Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                    The LMA records are great but as yet there's not many on Ancestry. I'm waiting until they've put more on before I upgrade.
                                    Thank you Lindsay ... excellent advice.

Is there any way of going somewhere to make the searches? ... or are they all scattered about the City?

Comment

London Metropolitan Archives are just off Farringdon Road - they have loads of records from the area which is now Greater London. I'd recommend a visit if you can reach it. You can see what they hold from their catalogue:
                                      Records and archives

As a bonus you can access Ancestry there (amongst other online resources), so you can check the Ancestry/LMA holdings online to see if it would be worth your while getting the upgraded membership.

Comment

Night Owl ... Lindsay ... many thanks.

I will investagate as suggested.

Thank you for you time and effort in answering my query.

Comment

Working...
                                        X