Bedford RO Lookups-Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Bedford RO Lookups-Ongoing

I will be visiting the Bedford & Luton Archives Record office next week on either Wednesday 9th or Friday 11th.
    If anyone needs a search or look up can you post please and i will see what i can do.

Paulc i have yours allready on my list.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks for the offer Peter.

Please would you get me the details of:
    Marriage Edmund ARNOLD Rose CHAPMAN Biggleswade 21/10/1793
    Burial Rose ARNOLD prob. 1803-1809
    Marriage Edmund ARNOLD Sarah WHITE Northill 9/1/1809

Or whichever of them that you can manage. Thank you.
    Glen

Comment

Noted Glen ,

Added to my list and will advise next week .

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter.
        Glen

Comment

Hi Peter,

I don't want to appear greedy but as I'm the only one asking at the moment, may I ask for a couple more please?

In fact if there is any restriction would you do these first please. It's something I've wanted to sort for a long time but keep forgetting. Both men come from Hitchin & I'm hoping the deatails on their marriages will indicate which families they are from.

James HIDE (20) & Emily BROWN (20) 10/7/1848 St Mary Luton
          James HYDE(24) & Susan ANDERSON (26) 10/6/1854 St Mary Luton

The details of both would be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

Glen.
          Glen

Comment

Hi Glen ,

I will do all that is asked and i will do that one as the most important, i hope to go regularly so can do what i dont have time for at a later date if thats ok.?

There is no restriction on requests .

Peter

Comment

Thanks very much Peter. Whenever is convenient for you. I've waited this long, as I can't face the drive over to Bedford- I've done it a couple of times, so a few more weeks/months won't matter.
              Glen

Comment

Off this morning so any late requests , i will be leaving at around 9.30am.

Regards Peter

Comment

To OP

Found your two marraiges for James Hyde however it does throw up some more questions for you to sort out .:D

10/7/1846 at St Mary Luton
                  James Hyde 20 Lab. res. Luton Father James Hide Butcher
                  Emily Brown 20 Spinster res Luton Father George Brown Lab.

Witnesses Emelia Brown/Edwin Thompson.

Note the name of his father is definately HIDE AND NOT HYDE there is no tail on the I

10/6/1854

James Hyde 24 Lab. Res. Luton Father William Hyde Lab.
                  Susan Anderson 26 Res. Luton Father Joseph Anderson Lab.

Witnesses Mary Anderson/John 'unreadable' lonuin.?or Lunein.? the last 2 letters are I as its dotted and N

Re Edmund Arnold/Rose Chapman
                  All could find here was the death of Rose Arnold on 7th March 1804

The second marriage stated that Edmund was a widower of Biggleswade.
                  i ran out of time to persue any further .

Peter

Comment

That's brilliant Peter, the James HIDE/HYDE info. falls nicely into place for me & gives me the ammunition I need to make a few comments on Ancestry.

Rose's death & Edmund being a widower from Biggleswade confirms that there is probably only one Edmund.

Thanks very much again.
                    Glen

Comment

Hi Peter,

I have another for whenever you next go.

[no title or date] QSR/24/1820/122
                      These documents are held at Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service
                      Contents:
                      Recognizances: Thomas Smith, Bedford, constable, Robert Taylor, same, butcher, Thomas Saunders, Langley Bottom, Herts., labourer, John Grundon, same, victualler; give evidence as in 121. See 235-41

I am interested in the details pertaining to John GRUNDON. Thanks.
                      Glen

Comment

Yes not a problem, do i assume this is a trail or hearing ?

I am going this week again so its should be soon.

Pete

Comment

I would assume so but I don't know who for or what about. There is likely no more detail & probably the only way I might find out what John had to say is in a newspaper report & that's not a definite so don't go looking for that. Thanks.

Have you looked at the Gaol Records? Quite a few of mine have turned up there & I was wondering if anything more is shown in the records than in the detail online.
                          Glen

Comment

Have you seen this .?

[no title or date] QSR/24/1820/237

Examinations and Depositions: John Gruddon, Langley, Herts. Keeps the Three Horse Shoes and saw William Harris at his house, describes the clothes he was wearing also a basket "like such as carpenters carry their tools in.... the basket was such a one as this".

Comment

No Peter, my search didn't bring up that variation of the name. If you wouldn't mind looking at that one too, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
                              Glen

Comment

I am off there today Glen.
                                So will look up all i can regarding the Grundon /Gruddon references , i will also take a look at the newspapers of the day to see if anything else can be gleamed from them at all.

Peter

Comment

That's very good of you Peter. Look forward to hearing from you later.
                                  Glen

Comment

Having my first look at any trial material it was enlightening.

The trial was for larceny against William Harris & John Edmunds.
                                    the Prosecutor was Edward Robinson who brought the case against the defendants.
                                    Harris was often referred to in evidence as Harris the Black .

Constable Smith gave evidence that he saw Harris go into a hovel and take a close look at a hayrick in which were Pidgeons both live and dead,A bridal, a sack, and various other items .
                                    Harris was seen to look around as the constable spied on him as he went to remove the cover the policman arrested Harris.
                                    Shortly after in came Edmunds and he was arrested as an accomplice to Harris .
                                    Evidence was given by Edmunds that he never knew or had met or seen Harris before. However Harris said that Edmunds was known to him .!

John Grundon gave evidence as follows;
                                    I am the keeper of the Three Horsehoes at Langley Bottom, Herts.

' I saw William Harris the prisoner in the house at 8.00 in the evening of the 24 th April.
                                    He was wearing Coarse Trousers, Turn up, and Blue Stockings, a dark coloured coat.
                                    He had a basket like one a carpenter would carry his tools in, a bundle fixed with a strap .
                                    His hands were blacker than his face. '

There was no reference to the outcome that i could find . there were no newspaper reports at that time in Bedfordshire the nearest paper was produced in Northampton .
                                    Last edited by Peter Stenning; 18-09-09, 22:09.

Comment

Thanks very much for your time & trouble Peter. Makes a change for one of mine to be giving evidence; they're usually standing in the dock.

Sometimes makes me wonder how I turned out to be such an honest, upstanding citizen. LOL.
                                      Glen

Comment

The good thing about that piece is you get an idea of the clothing they wore in those days at least the villians lol.

Comment

Working...
                                        X