Telegrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telegrams

Any idea what the initals K Z D stand for please?

That's a very good looking telegram Trish. Sorry, I don't know what the letters stand for though.

Comment

As they were sent through the post office then it might be worth asking the Museum and Archive if no one on here knows...

Our history through the post — The British Postal Museum and Archive

Chris
      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

John, it came in a posh gold coloured envelope too

Thanks Chris, I'll try that

Comment

Very nice Trish, you're so lucky to have such things. :D

Comment

There's a category in the USA archives for "Kriegszeit Dokumenten" (= wartime documents) - abbreviated as KZD - but, even tho' that's clearly the correct time-frame, I find it inconceivable that anyone would send a loving greeting within wartime Britain with a German link like that.

It could be an agreed message between the two, of course. Something like "KisseZ Darling". But that would take a lot of working out!

... Oh, and I join the admiration club for such a lovely thing.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've got a similar one for 1942, congratulating my Mum, on her wedding day.

It came in a posh gold envelope as well, but hasn't any accompanying letters.
              It was sent and delivered in England.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Well I have now emailed the Postal Museum that Chris kindly said about. If I find out what the initials stand for I'll let you know

Comment

Received a reply from the postal museum but they don't have a clue either (quick response though), and they are passing it on to their 'friends' BT Archives

Comment

I rang mum who's 83 in case she might know, nope, but she said it had to be personal, he wouldn't have been allowed to put any clue as to where he was, as she said they didn't even have sign posts, she thinks it was some kind of slang, like Swalk.......

Comment

Thanks Barbara, I'd love to know what it stands for

Comment

If, as Barbara and I have suggested, it's an abbreviated message akin to SWALK, then this site may be able to help:
                        SWALK
                        - unless it's personally devised and unique.

There's this page, WWII Postal Acronyms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, but it doesn't include KZD.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine

Comment

KZD (sound the letters) - Kissed?

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay If you knew these people though it would be very hard to think that they would use that sort of 'code', then again it was when they were young so anything is possible

Comment

The more I think about it, the more likely a code seems. If you knew you were going to have to send messages for all to see, you'd ant to be able to send personal messages without them being censored. It would make sense to agree something before you parted.

Christine

Comment

Just a wild guess, but is it possible that Bert was a POW and this is something organised by the Red Cross? I seem to have heard that Red Cross people from neutral countries did visit POW camps, but can't quote a reference.

Comment

Trish

What was her name? Could the capitals be K 2 D and not 'Z'.
                                    Kisses 2 Dorothy (or whoever)?
                                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Talked to mum again, she said after thinking about it last night that you should in her words, "write to the army".........

Comment

Barbara:D:D

Roger, no, Bert wasn't a PoW, apart from the first few months in England doing the basic training he spent most of the war abroad

Sue, her name was Joyce

If BT Archives don't come up with anything I think I'll just have to assume they did create a code between them

Comment

Working...
                                        X