Advice Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please?

Hi. I have very recently decided to trace my family history. I've read a lot of fantistic posts on here. (You really are a clever resourceful lot!) One 'thing' that worries me is that time and again it seems that it's necessary to visit various archives to get more detailed information. My problem is that I am physically disabled and am now no longer able to drive so getting out and about is worse than planning a polar expedition!
    Is it possible, by putting the right questions/queeries into the computer that I could do my research purely from home? and, if this is possible what questions etc do i need to get started? (Sorry I really am new to this):o
    I have already found one person I am really interested in but have hit a brick wall (I know, soooooooo soon???) I have both his parents BMD info and his brothers, but can't find anything about him. All I know is he was killed in a road accident on his way to work at Redbrook pit in the winter. He was apparently hit by the not so proverbial bus! I'd love to find out about the accident but don't know how. Any advice would be brilliant!
    Sorry for the long post!

Hugs
    Di

First of all welcome to Family Tree Forum.

It is certainly possible to trace a lot of your family tree, certainly back to the early 1800s, without moving out of your armchair. There are a number of resources available on the internet although some of them only available on a pay per view basis or via a subscription.

I have lived in Spain for 20 years and unfortunately have never had the opportunity to step inside any UK archive. If I ever move back to the UK then I doubt if you would be able to keep me away from them, but until then I have to rely on what I can find on the internet.

Why not give us some idea of what you are stuck on and then we can see if we can point you in the right direction. One thing we ask on FTF is that you do not post information relating to living people.

You might like to read our Creating Your Family Tree section in our wiki (reference library), which might give you a few leads as to the sites you need to use.
    Elaine

Comment

HI
      have you tried seeing if it was in the newspapers of the time it might be on the archive

Laura
      If not Feel free to ask if someone can go somewhere if they live near by we all do help each other that way

Comment

Hi Dianni and welcome

Its certainly possible to find a lot of information on line. Also certificates etc. can be ordered in various ways without having to visit places. (If you decide to order any, don't do it through Ancestry because they charge much more than at the GRO or local registrars - if you know the references it should only cost about £7 plus postage)

I don't know what county you're in but many libraries have free access to newspaper collections and other reference works and you can access these from home using your library ticket number.

Another good way to find information is Google (or other search engines!) Try searching for key words such as a village name, person's name etc. If you get too many hits, put quote marks around those words and you'll only get hits for the exact phrase
        Jackie

Comment

Hi Di,

I live on a small island in the pacific and just across the pond from me there are a number of Aussie and Kiwi members. We all I think I can say at sometime or other need help with archives and record offices, etc lookups in the UK.

The members on here are ever so kind and if they can will certainly try to help you. Don't be afraid to ask, just post your questions, with as much detail as you can, and if someone can help they usually will. Please don't post anything about living people though.

Comment

I started my family tree whilst living in Turkey and although I'm now back in the UK all my family are "down south" whilst I'm up north so still don't get to visit archives. I did a huge amount whilst I was away, met loads of folk on-line researching the same families so I'd say give it a go and ask for help whenever you get stuck.

All the best and happy hunting
            Ayse;)

Comment

Originally posted by Dianni View Post
              I have already found one person I am really interested in but have hit a brick wall (I know, soooooooo soon???) I have both his parents BMD info and his brothers, but can't find anything about him. All I know is he was killed in a road accident on his way to work at Redbrook pit in the winter. He was apparently hit by the not so proverbial bus! I'd love to find out about the accident but don't know how. Any advice would be brilliant!

Hugs
              Di
              About your specific question. Have you got this man's death certificate? If you're having trouble finding it you could put his name on here and see if we can help.
              If you can get the death certificate (and he really did die in an accident) there would be a reference on the death cert to an inquest and the date of the inquest. It is difficult sometimes to get actual inquest reports but they were usually very well reported in the local papers. You would have the actual date and for a small fee the library would photocopy it for you. Or you might find a member on here who lives near the local library willing to look it up for you.

Anne

Comment

Wow! Thanks! The relative I am looking for is Melvin Haigh. His mother (my great Aunt) was Elsie Bingham and she married Hubert Haigh. I remeber my G aunt and uncle well as they lived on the same estate as me (I told you we all lived close lol) We (as far as I have found so far) were all born, married and died inBarnsley, South Yorkshire. (In fact the VAST majority of my paternal line never moved from the villages of Redbrook, Gawber, Kexborough! all in a 5 mile radius!) I have the addresses of many of my paternal grandmother's siblings and even her parents. My dad moved onto this estate when he was 1 year old. He remembers my house being built! All the aunts and uncles lived on the estate too and I am infact the third generation to live here!
                If I haven't given the right info, please tell me what I need to ask (if that makes sense!)
                Thanks for the tip about the library records Night Owl! I had not thought of that, but think I will be able to narrow the search down, IF I can find his rough DOD.
                I'm thrilled to know I'm not the only one who can't get to the various offices! Thanks for the encouragement!
                Hugs
                Di
                xxx

Comment

Di,

we have a special forum now where we can ask certain specific lookup requests, these are mainly for archives/cemeteries/ and the like, so, for our members that need a lookup elsewhere in the country.

if in doubt, just ask
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Snap, then! :D All my mother's side of the family came from the Barnsley/Silkstone/Dodworth area.

If you are mentioning names which you want help with you would need to give some rough dates as well. Even a 10 year range could help. I have looked for a birth of a Melvin Haigh but not found one with a mother's maiden name of Bingham . Can you narrow down his birth and death for us, please?

anne

Comment

and remember that lots more parish registers will be online in the future.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

A Hugh HAIGH married in Barnsley in 1927 q2 (refs: 140544 CE136-20), but he married KATHLEEN M PADGETT.

I was looking here, to start with: Registrars Indexing Homepage
                        and tweaked the info with the Ancestry info.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi
                          How about this marriage.

Hubert Hager to Elsie Bingham Qtr 4 1936 Barnsley

Moggie

Comment

Is this your man?
                            Melvin S Hager Qtr1 1938 Barnsley mmn Bingham
                            Moggie

Comment

I see that there was another son in 1939.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I am in total awe!!!! How on earth did you do that. Yes this is the man. I checked with my dad and yes the surname is Hager not Haigh (although i have records of BMD of Hubert and Elsie and their other son Denis all in Haigh and now Hager.The dates all tally so for some reason they must have been entered twice?
                                My dad thinks Melvin died before my grandad died so that would be before 1954 (but then dad thought Melvin was Haigh!)
                                I have a rotten headache lol and still can't find his death despite the fantastic help from you clever people!
                                I will set about that tomorrow I think! I more little brain hasn't had this much exerscise for years!!
                                Many thanks once again
                                Di
                                xxx

Comment

Di,

I dont suppose your dad remembers how old Melvin was when he died? this would help greatly if he could.

people are always happy to help
                                  Julie

Comment

Gottim!!
                                    Death in
                                    January/February/March.. quarter 1954.

HAGER Melvin S. aged 16,
                                    Dist-Barnsley
                                    Vol 2b
                                    Page 25

should you wish to order his death cert online from GRO at Southport you will need to click on this link below.

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

you have all the info to order it here (you will need to supply the volume and page numbers, which I have given you)

if you order from a local register office you do not need the volume and page numbers as the local offices use a different system to the GRO.

I had to 'trawl' the indexes to find him, as these dates haven't been added yet to ancestry.
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-09-09, 15:58. Reason: added date and quarter cos I'm a plod!!! thanks Anne :)
                                    Julie

Comment

Ooops, Julie forgot the date :p

January quarter 1954.

Anne

Comment

sorry Brain drain.......

thanks Anne

I think I was trying to think of too many things at once :o
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X