using parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using parish records

fairly new to this hobby, but am doing I think ok, now it seems will have to start using parish records, am aware of where most am interested are kept, but never used type of gear used to look at them or that sure what will see on them.
    Before I go any tips what to take would be appreciated.
    Family am interested in is :

Robert Geary (Chris 1786 IGI)----Charlotte Emberick (marr 25 Dec 1810 IGI)

I have children as

Charlotte Esher (c1810)
    James (c1823)
    Mary Ann (c1821)
    Louisa (c1821)
    Frederick (c1827)
    William (c1820)

This I got from using IGI records, but the big gap from 1 of children points to me having it wrong, so hopefully using parish records may help to get it right but not sure how to go about it when at record center. All are in Lambeth area except Charlotte who was Birmingham
    Last edited by mikeg13; 01-09-09, 19:58. Reason: forgot area

Mike

Unfortunately the list you have given is submitted information, not information taken from a parish register and I cannot imagine how you would find the correct church in Lambeth, always supposing the information is based on fact and not pure fantasy (yes, that does happen on the IGI)

If you mean you are going to look at each church register in turn and try to match up the baptisms, then you have a long slog ahead of you!

What you will find in the registers varies from place to place, but you should at least get the name of the child baptised and the father's name and the date of baptism.

Good luck!

OC

Comment

Had a quick look at IGI myself.

You have 3 children all christened at Lambeth in 1821, Louisa, William and Mary Ann. It is extremely unlikely that the couple had triplets. Usual scenario is that they did the family in a batch, as the elder two of the trio had never been done at the time. You will need to view the original record to see if the date of birth is mentioned as well in the register.
      Assuming the children were born about two years apart, this would put their years of birth at 1821, 1819 and 1817, very approximately.

Charlotte Esther - according to IGI she was born in 1811 and christened in 1812, but this is at St Sepulchre, London, not Birmingham. Not sure where you got that from.

From 1813 what you will see in a baptism/christening register is the date, name of child, name of parents, occupation of father and address where family lived, although this might only be a hamlet, suburb or village, not full blown street name and number, the greater detail comes later on.

Have you traced the family in 1841, may help to fill in any gaps for the children. Not guaranteed though as by then the elder ones may have left home and gone into service or been apprenticed.

If you know which record office you want to visit, contact them beforehand to make an appointment, and let them know you are new, and want a guided tour. They will show you their catalogues, indexes, how to obtain their records from the saferoom if looking at original documents, and will also show you how to use a fiche or film reader. It also pays to look at their website beforehand as they may have online catalogues, and obviously take a notepad and pencil, plus a list of which items/references you wish to check out. Once you have been and had the initiation ceremony, you will be much more confident about going back or visiting other sites if you have ancestors in other parts of the UK.

Comment

Thanks for that, will try and put together bit more before I go, hopefully should be a little easier than would think for some as that part of family seem to have stayed in same area for generations (Southwark/Lambeth) if they stayed true to form it should cut down church record's hopefully need to look at , me I was St Alphege Southwark even though was born in the Mile End Road.
        Think as was said once have done it will be a bit more confident

Comment

Working...
        X