Our Irish ? brickwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Irish ? brickwall

Can anybody connect my OH to their tree? The 1911 Irish census hasn't helped to budge any bricks.

We have George William SMIRREL b.c.1826 Ayr, Scotland. His wife was Janet PATERSON or ROLLO c.1828 - 1884, her reputed father being a Roger ROLLO, according to her death certificate. The couple married in 1849 in Ayr. The OPR entry is just the couple's names.

George c.1826 - 28 November 1909 was a circular sawyer. He died at 35 Elba Street, Ayr. His death date means I'm not going to get any joy from the Scottish 1911 census when it appears. George's death certificate gives his parents as George SMIRREL and Maria PARK. We think they came from N. Ireland somewhere.

I can't find any trace of his parents or George's birth on IGI. I also don't know if his parents died in Ireland or in Scotland. If they were in Ayr, then they died pre-1855 registration.

I've found variant spellings of the surname as SMIRELL, SMIRRELL, SMYREL, SMYRELL, SMYRREL, SMYRL and SMYRLE. The 1911 Ireland census favours SMYRL.

Does anybody recognise these 2 couples?

Are they Catholic or Protestants? It can help to know....
    Last edited by Guest; 02-09-09, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
      Are they Catholic or Protestants? It can help to know....
      Protestant

Comment

Right, this means that if any family were left in Ireland they would most probably of signed the Ulster Covenant which you will find at PRONI.....good luck!

Comment

And there are 9 Smyrls...

Comment

thanks Barbara, I'll go look

Comment

Working...
            X