who is your most annoying ancestor posted 1-5-08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is your most annoying ancestor posted 1-5-08

Hiya,,,,,Merry posted this thread 18 months ago and there were over 100 names of rellies we all had problems with....for the record ,has anyone solved the mystery of their "annoying ancestors" ??........I have:p....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

This was what i posted Allan.................

My Grandmother...............My Grandfather.................

I have her b cert, she was born in India, her 1st marriage cert again in India, now i dont know when she came to England or if she was divorced from this husband, she had a child and it was called by his surname but he is not down as the father!!
    Grandmother was disowned by her family - was this when she came to England ??
    I have sent for Grandfathers b cert, his 1st marriage produced a son, cant find this marriage here or India. I have found a death for what i think is his 1st wife - waiting for this cert to come.........he served out in India..........

Both Gdad and Gmother married within weeks of the 1st spouses deaths !!!!
    I feel they must have been "carrying on", and this makes it all the harder for me......Lol

Are there any skeletons.............there must be.........i'll just keep digging !
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

And i still have'nt found thier marriage

And....i'm still digging:D:D

Its great to hear you are doing well ;)Allan
    Jacky

Comment

This is the thread

My annoyingly elusive probably dead before 1841 William Lawrence seems to have been a government clerk but that's all I've uncovered having bought his other 2 daughters marriage certs.

Comment

Hiya Jacky....on another site someone found a passenger list for Liverpool on "Castle Garden"...I did ask them what this is and they never replied....so..do you know what it is /have you ever heard of it ?....it sounds good for Liverpool passenger research ...googled castle garden and got nothing...I`m confused ....allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

No, i've never heard of that one Allan - sounds good though, keep my eye out for it!!

Is this it Allan.........

Last edited by Tilly Mint; 01-09-09, 19:33. Reason: to add
          Jacky

Comment

Yes, i've made lots of progress with mine

This was my post

~~~
            My 2 x great grandmother.

On the 1891 & 1901 census she can't decide which County she's born, never mind a place.

Can't be found on any census before 1891.

Claims to be born anywhere between 1855 - 1865 on the census, marriage certs, death.

She changes her maiden name on her children's birth certs as well as both her marriages.

Uses 2 fornames, sometimes together or the other way around.

She's more than annoying she's a complete pain

I'm hoping that she might of made her mind up on the 1911 census (County still to be released) & give me some facts I can prove. But then again i'm not hopeful she will.
            ~~~

& this is what I posted 9/5/09

~~~
            I need a new annoying ancestor :D

She's given her birth place in 1911, i've found her birth & her mother who wasn't married when she was born. I've tracked her down on the 61 & 71 census, only 81 I can't find her on.

Still working on the other names she's used but no longer find her annoying & can bring myself to look at her photo without getting angry
            ~~~

Since then i've half solved the mystery of her two surnames but am still working on it.

Hope plenty of other folks are getting somewhere with theirs.
            Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
              No, i've never heard of that one Allan - sounds good though, keep my eye out for it!!

Is this it Allan.........

Castle Garden
              yes Jacky that must be it...didn`t realise it was only for America....what a shame for you....allan:(
              added....what year was the earliest you know your grandmother came to Liverpool ?
              Last edited by garstonite; 01-09-09, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                Hiya Jacky....on another site someone found a passenger list for Liverpool on "Castle Garden"...I did ask them what this is and they never replied....so..do you know what it is /have you ever heard of it ?....it sounds good for Liverpool passenger research ...googled castle garden and got nothing...I`m confused ....allan

Castle Garden predated Ellis Island as the place of entry for American immigration.
                Possibly your ancestor left UK from Liverpool?

Comment

i havn't made much progress. of my original post, these are the ones i have slightly more info on:

andrew palmer and margaret baty- married 1789 in bowness upon solway, cumberland. -now have their death certs, nothing new on their origins.

johann sigismund dittmann and sophia elizabeth frederike luca/luka/lucer/lucker/luker/lucas/lucan- he born in posen, poland around 1820. death cert just says born in germany!! she's born around 1826, berlin!!! - found their marriage record in posen, poland in 1846. in the process of acquiring it.

Comment

In a word no.
                    This was my post -

My bug-bear is great-great-great grandfather George Dawson, was born in Surrey about 1795, and died in 1849. He was probably born in the Rotherhithe area, because he was a sailmaker. But there's no hint of him, even on the Docklands Ancestors website.

However, I have found George Dawson's marriage to Sophia Brazill, it was in LEE, KENT (recently added to the IGI, 'cause I know it was not there before) and makes me wonder if George was from Kent not Surrey. Maybe around Lee or Lewisham.

On Emma Lewis Leek, not a glimmer of any new news.

OH's great-great-great grandmother Emma Lewis Leak was born on 18 Feb 1824 and baptised in Bristol in 1840. Baptism record says mother Annie; illegitimate, no mention of father, or why baptism was so late. Came to Australian in 1843 under the name Emma SMITH, but may be in Bristol in the 1841 census. When she died in 1866, her husband of twenty years said parents unknown, place of birth Monmouthshire !!

Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Dicole, some of the parish registers for St Mary Lewisham were lost in a fire, I've got some folk from that area and but for the fact they were mentioned in wills I would never have known of their existence.

Comment

Not a thing, this was mine,

My great grandfather John Tomlinson born 1842? Belper Derbyshire.

I have the marriage and death cert for him and police career records and records of the Royal Humane society award he won, but can i find him before 1861 or if he had any siblings or his birth. NO

I now have all his childrens birth certs and most of their marriage certs,

Sylvia
                        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Benjamin James still remains a complete mystery!

(Incidentally, he was the first person I asked for help with on GR, years and years ago! :D)

Just to add insult to injury, I have since "lost" (i.e they disappear off the face of the earth) his son and his entire family also.

Comment

I have several annoying ancestors. However, I think I have finally managed to link one of mine to her rightful family. Ann Aville was born in Brampton Rotherham 1806 but I could not find her Christening details. She married in Wickersley, Rotherham and as Aville is an unusual name I looked for a possible family in the area. There was a family parents Thomas and Mary and seven or eight siblings (one or two I am still not sure about). My task was to prove (or disprove) that Ann belonged to this family. But I am really pleased to say that I am fairly sure that she did belong to this family.

I found a christening entry which stated that one of her brothers came from the same village as Ann (Brampton). On looking through the burial index in Rotherham Achieves I found Ann and one of her sisters, Charlotte, buried on the same day, and same village, in September 1854 and yesterday I received Ann's death certificate - she died of Asiatic Cholera. But, it wasn't her husband who was the informant as I expected it to be, but her sister Mary Aville.

I think their is enough evidence for me to be happy that I have broken down this particular brick Wall!!

Comment

my most annoying ancestor is my great/grandfather although I have his marriage certificate and christening record and I have him on the 1841 and 1881 census there is no death for him that i can find and have been looking for 7 years .
                              On my OH side when you get back to his gg/grand parents the census only tells you they were both born in Ireland no county and although his great/grandmother was born in london before records started I can't find anything on her birth

Margaret

Comment

Well I have a gt grannie Emma Moore Matthews Garvie, who doesn't appear to have been baptised and I can't find a trace of her 2nd marriage either. But I do have a wealth of other info on her, so I won't put her forward.

It would have to be my gt x 2 grandfather Wiliam Williams.

He was born in 1832, or 1834, or 1837 or possibly 1835 or 6. At Rapstone, or North Cerney, or Rendcombe, or Winstone or Winchcombe. [these are all plausible, Gloucestershire Cotswold villages within easy travelling distance].

In 1841 he was a gamekeeper near Cheltenham, which was a bit of a way away from his usual stomping ground. Then he is various kinds of labourer, so don't know why he lost his gamekeeping post.

I presume he is dead, but I can't find him in 1911 nor can I find a convincing death cert. I do have one in the Aylesbury area (where his son moved) but the informant is a woman who is not connected with William.

So it would be him!

And on my ex's side, it would be his gt x 2 grandfather Zusman Hart who is also missing in 1911, though he managed to marry in 1916 he has also failed to die! Don't get me started on the permutations of Zusman - its a feat of ingenuity that I with help from many people have found him mistranscribed on every census from 1861-1901.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is what I originally posted:

"Mine is my gg grandparents William Henry Chadwick and Mary Ann Merriman and my g grandmother, their 2nd child Clara Chadwick.

William Henry (my personal brickwall) was born, according to the 1911 census between Malta and Corfu !!. Mary Ann was born (depending on which census you look at) either in Ireland or in Lichfield, Staffordshire - they married in Stockport !!. No birth registrations for either of these two !

Clara was born in the 1880's in (according to the censuses) either in Leeds or Hunslet - no parish records or birth registration known"

The only thing I have really found out is a RC church record for Clara - which surprised me as she married in a C of E church, BUT it gave me at least her date of birth, date of baptism and godparents - still haven't managed to find a birth registration though but am still looking:D:D

Comment

This was my post on 02-05-08

Have I mentioned my Gt Grandmother Mildred Pigott nee Gailey before??

All anecdotal and not a birth, marriage or death cert in sight. Alledgedly an Irish nurse who nursed my gt grandfather back to health on a journey back from West Africa. He supposedly married her on the rebound after not being allowed to marry his "true love". Can't find a marriage cert and with his job/family it really is very unlikely that they didn't get married.

My grandfather was born in Bishop's Court in Naas in 1900 and I went to Dublin to get a copy of his birth certificate to find her name. Only problem is that the birth was registered by a physician (not my gt grandfather) so he may only have known her as Mildred her real name could've been Gladys and Gailey could be spelt wrong as well! She alledgedly died the following year giving birth.

I spent a whole day trawling through the registers in Dublin to find her death, or marriage but no joy. When my gt grandfather eventually married his "true love" in 1911 his marriage state was widower.

*Merry there is a darkened room awaiting your presence* Another two pesky Pigotts I have are slightly sideways but are Ralph and Nathaniel Pigott the same person? and finally what happened to their sister Mary who was born in India and disowned by her father for marrying a jewish Austrian furrier... (I believe they were in the UK during WW2).

Well - I've found Mildred except that her real name was Sarah! I've found her marriage in 1899 and her death in 1909. I've found her parent's marriage, her father's death, (and his first marriage, 1st wife's death and 1/2 sisters birth and death), I've the baptism records for her 3 full siblings (Elizabeth, Agnes and Daniel) and the death of Daniel (batchelor brother) in 1955. (all very kindly gathered by a friend of my sister who has a house in the right area of Ireland!) It is so sad that my grandfather didn't know this side of his family and Daniel and Agnes never married so that just leaves me Elizabeth to look for. What I haven't manage to find out about though is the truth behind the stories if any.

I have also totally cracked the mystery of Mary but as one her sons used two names, appeared to live a double life and his wife and children and probably his brother are alive I will say no more.

As to Ralph/Nathaniel no joy there and the 1911 census hasn't helped either and now my Gt Gt Aunt Dora Moxon heads the list of the person I most want to find out about.
                                    Last edited by Bo the Bodger; 02-09-09, 10:24.
                                    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
                                    X