How best to search for imigration to USA from UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How best to search for imigration to USA from UK

Could someone tell we how best to search for evidence that relatives emigrated to the USA in the mid to late 1940's from the UK.

Where might I be able to check ship logs?

and

What tools are available to check how their family development when the arrived in Texas?

thanks for your help.

You can search outgoing passenger lists on Ancestry and FindmyPast. Ancestry also has incoming passenger lists to the UK in case they came back for a visit.

You can also search some US passenger lists free here:

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Comment

Not sure about Texas records. However, you can search US death records here:

FamilySearch.org - USSSDI Search

Comment

thanks - as this will be in the 1940's is not coverd by the two above - anywhere else I can look.

Comment

Sorry, I thought Ellis Island had more recent records.

The death index on familysearch.org goes up almost to the present date if I remember rightly.

Ancestry and FindmyPast have passenger lists going up to 1960. Ancestry also has marriage and death records for some States - don't know if Texas is included.

Comment

Some Texas links here:

Texas - Family Tree Forum

Comment

You might like to look in the Wiki to see if there is anything in there

USA - Family Tree Forum

There are also some records on the FamilySearch beta site (and its being added to all the time so its worth checking back)

FamilySearch Record Search

and again specifically for the USA

FamilySearch Record Search
              Jackie

Comment

This is another source of USA info - they have the SSDI, too.

Family Tree Legends Records Collection

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X