anyone grasp polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone grasp polish?

i had sent a letter, one in polish using google translate, and one in english, to the poznan archives in poland. i asked how much it would be to get a copy of a marriage entry.

i got a reply in polish, and knew i wouldnt be able to translate all of it in google.
    the letter seems to mention currency and a bank number? i'l post the polish and english translation, maybe someone can pick up exactly what some of the numbers are?

polish:
    archiwum panstwowe w poznaniu prosi o wplacenie 18 usd (1 x 15 za 1/6 godziny poszukiwan, 2 x 4 pln za 2 strony kserokopii, 30 pln oplaty bankowo-pocztowej)

na rachunek bankowy archiwum panstwowego w poznaniu, ul. 23 lutego 41/43 kreydt bank s.a. III oddzial.

nr (iban) pl 26 1500 1621 1216 2001 0692 0000 (bickrdbplpw) prosimy nie przysylac czeku ani gotowki! odnaleziono dokument malzenstwa.
    english translation:
    state archives in cognition asked to pay 18 usd (1 x 15 for 1 / 6 hours of exploration, 2 x 4 PLN for 2 pages of photocopying, PLN 30 banking and postal fee)

the bank account of state archives in cognition, st. February 23 41/43 kreydt Bank SA III branch.

No (IBAN) en 26 1500 1621 1216 2001 0692 0000 (bickrdbplpw) Please do not send a check or cash! found the document of marriage.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 03-09-09, 10:16.

The IBAN number is an international bank account number. I assume they've given you their number so you can send a bank transfer to it.

I really wouldn't recommend using an online translation program to translate letters that you're sending - the results can be incomprehensible, and can also say the opposite of what you meant to say.

Comment

HI
      hubby works with polish people every day as one of his jobs as a consultant is at an employment agency that employs them. So if you need something translating pm me I will give it him to take to the girls in the office

Laura

Comment

I think the middle part of your response is an address. I am sure ul. means ulica, which is polish for street, and it is written in reverse, so you get the name of street then the number.

Guess that first part of letter relates to their charges, and like Mary says, the last part is the IBAN number, to allow an international transfer between your bank account and theirs.

Comment

yes, thank you mary, i was aware that the online translators arn't always the best.
          wincot kid, thank you for that.
          laura, will send a pm .

Comment

Hi
            hope the translation helps

Laura

Comment

I find it intriguing that the word poznaniu - which must, surely, mean "of Posnan" - gets translated as "in cognition".

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's because automatic translators don't often recognise proper names.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  That's because automatic translators don't often recognise proper names.
                  Yes, of course. It's like spell-checkers and predictive text: they're only as good as their databases.

But there's the additional thing that it suggests that Posnan actually has a meaning. Of course - some of the names of our country villages could come up with some quite shocking interpretations!

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hi laura, im posting the questions i have, as well as sending them, in case someone here can answer them!

Originally posted by Laura the Explorer
                    1)The national archive in Poznan is asking to pay $18 (1 x 15 for 1/6h searching, 2x 4PLN for copy 2 pages and 30PLN for the post fee)
                    so i take it this is the price of finding the marriage, copying it, and sending it to me? how much is it all? and what does pln mean?

2)On account below:
                    Poznan, 23 Lutego 41/43 Kredyt Bank S.A III Oddzial
                    this is the bank's address?

3)IBAN 26 1500 1621 1216 2001 0692 0000 (bickrdbplpw).Please don’t sent cheque or cash!
                    i assume this is the bank account number?
                    Last edited by kylejustin; 03-09-09, 10:17.

Comment

Can I please ask, What address did you use for your enquiry, my daughter in law is looking for Polish ancestors, it may be of use to her.
                      many thanks
                      mariner

Comment

mariner, it depends on where in poland your daughter's relatives are from. mine are from poznan, it is a city and a county in poland. i use this site:

Poznan Project

it is not complete, but if her rellies are from poznan, then i suggest looking here. once you have found the marriage you want, you can click on a box next to it, and get the archive details.

Comment

Bearing in mind that I don't know a word of Polish:

2)On account below:
                          Poznan, 23 Lutego 41/43 Kredyt Bank S.A III Oddzial
                          this is the bank's address?
                          I think the bank's name is Kredyt Bank S.A., branch III.
                          The address is: ul. 23 Lutego 41/43, Poznan.

3)IBAN 26 1500 1621 1216 2001 0692 0000 (bickrdbplpe).Please don’t sent cheque or cash!
                          i assume this is the bank account number?
                          The bank's IBAN (international bank account) number is 26 1500 1621 1216 2001 0692 0000. You'll need to put PL at the beginning, which is the international code for Poland, so the number you give your bank will be PL26 1500 1621 1216 2001 0692 0000.

The bit in brackets is the BIC code, which your bank will also need. Are you sure you have the last letter right? A quick google search indicates that the BIC code for the Kredyt Bank in Poznan is KRDBPLPW.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-09-09, 10:01.

Comment

1)The national archive in Poznan is asking to pay $18 (1 x 15 for 1/6h searching, 2x 4PLN for copy 2 pages and 30PLN for the post fee)
                            so i take it this is the price of finding the marriage, copying it, and sending it to me? how much is it all? and what does pln mean?
                            PLN is the Polish zloty.
                            They're charging 15 zloty for the search, 8 zloty for the copies and 30 zloty for postage.
                            This makes a total of 53 zloty, which is equivalent to US $18.00.

Comment

your right about the bic code mary, i had mistyped the letter. it should be 'w'.

Comment

so i just take all these details in to my bank, and they will sort it will they?

Comment

Yes, that should be all you need. If you have internet banking, you may be able to do it yourself online.

Just tell your bank to send US $18 - they don't need to know the equivalent in zloty.
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-09-09, 10:31.

Comment

great. i wonder how much theyll charge me. i get a huge fee for checks in british pounds when i order parish records!

Comment

No idea - you could always phone them and ask. My English bank also charges a fortune for international transfers.

Comment

im not sure how the archives will know that ive paid them- mum says that there should be a reference i can send them in the details, but i dont see anything that could be called a 'reference'.

the only things i didnt ask to be translated because they seemed simple were:
                                        pismo z dnia- letter of 2009/08/07
                                        nasz znak- our sign, III 843/351/09
                                        data- date, 28/08/2009

would the 'reference number' be 'our sign'?

Comment

Working...
                                        X