Army help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army help please!

My GG Grandfather was in the Army Service Corps in WW1. I have searched the Ancestry records and it says that he was a driver. In a photo of him he is wearing an amunition belt over his shoulder- isn't that Artillery? I can't actually see anything on the Ancestry pages that says in what part of the Army Service Corps he served. Please can somebody offer advice or tell me what they think?
    Thanks very much!
    Tessie

Any details you have of him would be helpful... inc service number? Post a pic?
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

er he could well have been driving a horse! A bandoleer was usually worn by someone whose job involved riding, perhaps the horses which pulled the guns?

Comment

The A. S.C. (later to be retitled the Royal Army Service Corps) used horses to transport the supplies to the line and also the camps, be it food, clothing, water, fuel, and general stores etc. As a seperate corps within the army this was their main purpose. These days the R.A.S.C. lives on in the Royal Logistic Corps.

don

Comment

Hi thanks for all your help! Sorry for being dim- I know nothing really about the Army! So there were different Corps within the A.S.C? All it says on his Ancestry papers is that it was 17th Division. I have tried 'googling' but I can't really see anything that explains it to me properly!
          Thanks again!
          Tessie

Comment

Working...
          X