Elstone Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elstone Yorkshire

Can anyone tell me where Elston is or was in Yorkshire please. It may have come under Sibthorpe but I cannot find either. I am trying to locate the church records.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Terrianne; 30-08-09, 21:08.

Have you tried the list of Yorkshire parishes on GENUKI?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think you will find Elston and Sibthorpe are in Nottinghamshire, just south west of Newark.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        I think you will find Elston and Sibthorpe are in Nottinghamshire, just south west of Newark.
        Whoops!
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Looks as if you need the Nottinghamshire Archives
          Parish Register Finding Aid - Nottinghamshire County Council
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I have Elstone Yorkshire from census returns, but cannot find an Elstone in Yorkshire, so wondered if it had merged with another village?

Comment

Someone out of the blue has emailed this to me today

<<In 1166 the half fee that Henry Walensis held of Laval has been identified as being in Sibthorpe and Elston, Yorkshire. [source: The Lacy family in England and Normandy, 1066-1194, publ. 1966] >>
              From
              Click here: Le Waleys of Burgh-Wallis, Yorkshire, England

I thought I had finally found where my ancestor was born!

Comment

If it is the Nottinghamshire Elston that you really need, I have just found some parish records on line which may be of use

Elstonprindex

- actually produced by one of our members, Guy.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Terrianne View Post
                  Thank you all for your replies. I have Elstone Yorkshire from census returns, but cannot find an Elstone in Yorkshire, so wondered if it had merged with another village?
                  Can you give an example of where you have found Elstone recorded as Yorkshire on the census? Might help to locate it, presuming its different to the Nottinghamshire one.
                  Elaine

Comment

Could it be one of those places wiped out by the Black Death? There are a few deserted medieval villages hereabouts - Wharram Percy being the best known. Elston is a common surname round here, which backs up the claim there may once have been a Yorkshire Elstone.

Comment

Working...
                    X