Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2006 Desktop to FTM 2006 Laptop

Hi,
    I have FTM 2006 on both my desktop and my main laptop. I have added tons to my desktop with lots of pictures. I need to update my laptop with all the additions and PICTURES.How do i transfer and update my laptop!! Thanks to all!
    Silverjack;)

you need to export a file from your desktop you could save it to a flash drive then import it into your laptop

Comment

Hi,
      What is that "export" file called (it's ending letters? .ftm etc.) when i go to put it on the laptop and i'm in the program, what command do i use to import it? (like backup?,etc.)
      Now this transfer will transfer the pictures too, correct?
      Thanks for all your help!

Silverjack

Comment

FTM will automatically try to save your exported file as an .FTW file, this file type will contain all your pictures as well.

You can either start a new family file with it or you can merge it with your old file, be aware of a merge though, if you have just the slightest difference in say a date of birth for a person in the 2 files then you will end up with 2 dates for the same event in the merged file. The best thing to do is to delete your old file and replace it with the new .FTW back up.
        Best Wishes
        Ron
        www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Is there a "backup" command that will upgrade your data on the laptop without merging double data? I don't want to delete any "file" as i probably have data on the laptop that isn't on the desktop. (when i'm on vacation i take my laptop and add directly to the laptop data i find while on vacations.)
          So i just want to update the laptop with data from the desktop. Both laptop and desktop have the exact same "family" title.

Thanks!!
          Silverjack

Comment

Before considering using two machines you need an understanding of file management, file naming, file backups, file consolidation/merging and a standard method of recording information and sources etc.

Details of the different filetypes used by FTM are explained on a wiki page at
            Family Tree Maker - File Extensions and Icons - Family Tree Forum

Only once everything (pre consolidation) is backed up, consolidated, checked for errors (and corrected if needed) then the consolidated information backed up should you think about how to use two machines together. Networking the two together is one solution but unless you have a methodical approach to data entry and backups it is easy to finish up with part files on two machines that you are continually trying to consolidate together.

Merging files via FTM isn't difficult but does take some thought before, during and after the process, for example FTM versions 10-2005 automatically add a source for every piece of information merged from one file into another. FTM 2006 does not automatically add the source. Data error reports are useful when merging files and can be created by FTM and printed for use when checking the merged data.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

If the data is not identical on both machines then you will end up with double entries in your file, for example, if you have the birth date for a person in one file as 1 January 1881 and in the other file as Abt. 1881, both of these dates will show up in the merged file in the Birth date field
              Best Wishes
              Ron
              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
                If the data is not identical on both machines then you will end up with double entries in your file, for example, if you have the birth date for a person in one file as 1 January 1881 and in the other file as Abt. 1881, both of these dates will show up in the merged file in the Birth date field
                Very true Ron, and after hunting through my file and adding sources etc it suprised me to find how my data entry methods and source recording changed as time went by, i split my file at one point, (i produced a one name study from my main file) and have only updated dates on my main file, the one name study has several "abt" dates that would cause problems if i were to merge them together again.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                X