X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I search pre 1837 data?

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on how I might track down the following;

a) A copy of a birth certificate for an Emma Kick - born 1833 in Glastonbury.
    b) A copy of her fathers marriage certificate - Thomas Kick - born 1796 - prob Glastonbury.
    c) The name of Thomas Kick's wife. I have checked the census logs for 1841 & 1851 and it looks like she died between 1833 and 1841 based on the age of their children.

As the info needed is pre 1837 online marriage/birth data and pre 1841 census data I am not sure how best to proceed.

At the moment I only have Emma's marriage certificate to confirm father and the 1841 and 1851 census logs.

Can anyone advise me where / how to look as I am still quite new to this.

thanks.

Hi Oliveriles

Civil registration didn't start until 1837. Before that you will need to consult parish records, not all of which are on line.

However, a good start for you would be the IGI -

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Try looking for Emma's baptism. Come back and let us know what you have found.

OC

Comment

As OC has said, pre 1837 will reqire you to search Parish Records. There will be no certificates, just the entries in the PRs. Ad well as the IGI, FreeReg is coming along nicely with transcriptions of PRs (usually not already in the IGI).

A lot depends on the County that your ancestors came from. Some Counties have much better online coverage of PRs than others.

There are also transcripts that are part of the British Vital Records and are available on CD from the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS). I do believe these are slowly becomimg available on the new pilot search site for the LDS.

Some Counties also publish transcripts of PRs that have usually been done by the local Family History Society and many are for sale on CD or microfiche.

Let us know the areas you are looking for and I am sure some of us can point you in the right direction.

As OC said, the IGI is a very good place to start searching but be aware that this is only an index and some entries made by members of the LDS Church cannot always be relied on. If you find an entry that shows it has been "extracted" than that is a good indicator of what was in the PR.

Have a look at the info in The Wiki here:

It gives a basic expanation of how to approach your reasearch and explains a bit about research prior to Civil registartion.

Pat
      Last edited by Elderflower; 30-08-09, 18:52. Reason: Added link to Wiki

Comment

thank you - I want to look at the Glastonbury area.

Comment

OK. A quick search of the VRI records shows none for Glastonbury.

On Freereg there are some transcriptions. Try this link to see what has been done:
          P

From Hugh Wallis's batch number site, the IGI has extractions for the Wesleyan Baptisms only here:

IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England

If you go to the Family History Research website here:
          FamilySearch.org - Education

you reach the LDS catalogue. Search for Glastonbury using the Place Name search option, when a list of places is shown, choose Glastonbury Somerset then choose Church Records. You will then see a list of items which can be ordered from your local family history centre at your local LDS Church. Another tab on the FHS website will show you the nearest one to where you live. If the records you want are not online, you will be able to order a film of the Parish Records which can be viewed at your local FHC.

Search the Wiki at the top of this page to find out more about ordering films from the LDS.

Hope I haven't confused you too much. It's a lot to take in when you are new to this area of your research. It can be very rewarding to search through a film and find the person(s) ypou are hoping to find.

If you have any more questions about this, just post and I'm sure there are many people willig to guid you in the right direction.

Pat

Comment

You could also try this page of the Wiki:
            Somerset - Family Tree Forum
            It shows various websites that have some Somerset PR transcriptions. You may have to dig deep to find some for Glastonbury.

You might have some luck searching for your ancestors using the wider term of Somerset rather than pinpointing Glastonbury. In my experience they often moved about a bit. If you try these various online options that I have mentioned in earlier posts, you might come across somehing that rings a bell.

Pat

Comment

thank you for your help that gives me lots to work on - much appreciated.

Comment

If they were non confromists (not Church of England) you will probably get the records on "The Genealogist". The birth records are sometimes better than a post 1837 cert.

Comment

Working...
                X