Two sisters same name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two sisters same name

I have been looking for the birth of Emma Waters b1856 in Sulgrave since I started researching.I have the birth certs of her illegitimate children born before she married Thomas Tyrrell in 1890 and I have seen various census where she is always named as Emma Waters from the first one after her birth in 1861 when she would have been only 6yrs old until she married in 1890 then until her death she is always Emma Tyrrell.

Finally yesterday I received her death cert and low and behold she is named as "Mary Ann Tyrrell otherwise Emma Tyrrell,"I had seen a Mary Ann Waters ,which would have been her real maiden name but discounted it as she had a sister named Mary Hannah born in 1862, I know children were sometimes given the same name if a sibling had died but Mary Ann [Emma] was still alive and didn't die till 1941 .

I have now sent for the birth cert but has any one else come across such a situation where "otherwise" has been put on a death cert or two sisters both alive have had the same first name.I'm half wondering if she was born a Waters or may have been a Tyrrell and taken in and brought up by the Waters family,hopefully when the birth cert arrives it will clear the mystery up.

Hana

One of my RC families has the first name Mary or Maria for every female child. They were all known by their second names. And I also have families where a later child was given the same first and second names as a dead sibling.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Uncle John,

I hadn't thought of that ,I have just had a look at her parents marriage cert and they married in a C of E Church and Emma herself married in a Baptist Church so I don't think she would have been RC .It's going to be a long wait till the 9th September and the birth cert arrives.

Hana

Comment

Mary Ann = M.A.= Emma.

Say it and you'll see what I mean!

I have one or two families which have two Marys, one named after maternal grandmother and the other after paternal grandmother. One is referred to as Mary, the other as Molly, which is a diminutive of Mary, but both are Mary on official docs.

OC

Comment

Oh yes OC I see what you mean,I only have the name of the grandfathers so maybe the grandmothers could have been Mary,Thankyou,she did call herself Emma on everything though ,her childrens birth certs before marriage [I don't have the ones to her marriage] and all census and the first time Mary Ann is mentioned is on her death cert.

Hana

Comment

Maybe she wasn't keen on her name, so used her initials as Olde Crone suggested, or just decided on another one.

Have come across Ann and Anna, and Mary and Maria in the same family, and also children with same name when an older sibling has died, but only one instance of children having the same name, that were both alive.

This however was in the sixteenth century, where I have two brothers named John, one of which was naming the other and his family as beneficiaries of his will. I am sure I have read somewhere that it was more common in that period.

Also, during that time, there would not have been the range of first names around, especially amongst the illiterate working class, whose only source of information for such matters would have been hearing names from the Bible read out in sermons or religious texts.

That's probably not the case for your family though.

Comment

One of my Scottish lot named all their girls the same and all their boys the same. All lived to old age.

Then my Australian great grandfather named two of his daughters Gertrude, but that was only because he was drunk and forgot he already had one. One became Aunty May (as you do....lol)

Comment

i have 2 sisters my nanna was born after her sister mary died,my nanna was called marie and from one census says mary,s age then the next my nanna,s.in in 10 years one mary died to the other marie my nannie,both go as m on census.brenda xxx

Comment

My great grandad had two brothers called Thomas. They were known as Big Tom and Little Tom.

Big Tom was from my great great grandad's first marriage and Little Tom was from his second marriage.

(Edit to say, Great great grandad was also a Thomas!)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

two sisters same name

I have sisters in my tree called eliza and elizabeth, born 18mths apart and both lived till adulthood - they were born in the 1830's in london - very confusing.

More recently, every aunt in my mums RC family was called mary, but referred to with both their first names - eg, Mary Ellen, Mary Bridget etc.

Darannon

Comment

Thankyou all for replying explaining what has happened in your own families.

I'm looking forward to her birth cert arriving to see what emerges,if the family had been Catholic I wouldn't have been surprised, however this family has been quite mysterious all along and nothing should surprise me with them now.

Hana

Comment

My great grandfather had two brothers named William - William Charles and William John. However, on William Charles' death certificate he is just Charles.
                        Jenny

Comment

Working...
                        X