Does anyone like puzzles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone like puzzles?

I tried to confirm my great grandparents names on my fathers side but have hit a problem?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Before I looked I had the following facts.

1. My grandfather (Samuel Iles) was a twin born prob around 1915 to 1925 in early January.
    2. His Twin was called John Iles
    3. Samuel Iles married Thelma Farrell before 1944
    4. Samuel and Jack will have been born in the south west - prob bristol or weston-super-mare
    5. Samuel was one of many brothers and sisters.

I found a matching marriage certificate for Oct 1943 between Samuel Iles and Themla Farell in Bristol.

On the marriage certificate the fathers name is shown as GEORGE ILES

Also on the marriage certificate is a witness called MINNIE ILES.

A search of the records shows a marriage between George and Minnie (Godfrey) for 1916.

Great I thought that's all sorted !

I then did a search for the birth certificate of Samuel, it was easy to find as he was a twin and I knew his age from the marriage certificate. - Born 5th Jan 1925.

When the birth record arrived it showed the father as WILLIAM ROBERT ILES and the mother as FLORANCE EMILY ILES (BAKER).

A search of the records showed they were married in 1905.

So I know I have the correct marriage and birth certificate for Samuel - but the parents name on each of them are different.

Any idea's what I am missing?

Births Mar 1925

Iles- John. m.n.- Baker. Axbridge, 5c, 606
    Iles- Samuel. m.n.- Baker. Axbridge, 5c, 606

axbridge is in somerset. the only one that fits.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 29-08-09, 09:22.

Comment

there's these in axbridge, with mother's name baker: one in 1913, one in 1915, and one in 1917.
      it's plausible that there are more, before 1911, and after 1925. there are a few in bristol. i suggest get the above samuel's cert, and see if you can find a george and possible wife in 1911.
      Last edited by kylejustin; 29-08-09, 09:12.

Comment

Could you confirm that no details of living people are included please, if they are still living or you don't know, I am afraid that you will need to edit your posts.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

No living people are included in this post.

I have the birth certificates for Samuel and John and they confirm parents are William and Florance.

But as I mentioned Samuel's marriage certificate shows father as George.

So I am at a loss as I know both records are valid.

Comment

maybe there was a brother or relative called george, and that was written instead. it happens. my 2nd great grandad's father was joseph, but it got written as richard, which a big family name. my great grandmother ha her father as samuel on her marriage, but her father was simon, and he signed the register. so there are mistakes.

does the names of your grandathers proposed siblings run in your family?

Comment

Thank you both!!

Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've got one marriage cert where the father is named as Jonah and another where it says John though I know its the same chap. He also appears as Jonas in baptism record just to add to confusion!

I also have a marriage cert where the groom is called James and his father John, though the groom was John and his father James.

Mistakes are all too easy - though these certs were all earlyish ones, when the level of literacy and accuracy wasn't perhaps as high as later on.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by oliveriles View Post
                  No living people are included in this post.

I have the birth certificates for Samuel and John and they confirm parents are William and Florance.

But as I mentioned Samuel's marriage certificate shows father as George.

So I am at a loss as I know both records are valid.
                  My grandmothers father was a Frederick Thomas on her birth cert.. yet on her marriage cert he morphed into George Frederick... I know that I have the right person as she was the ONLY one born with that name, in that area.. I also have her death cert which confirms her DOB and various other bits and peices.

I would plump for the earlier record to be more correct,

I guess the only other way you could confirm is to buy more of his siblings certs, but even then that isnt fool proof.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You could also try the 1901 and 1911 census, see if you can find George Iles, and William and Florence.

The only thing I can think of at present is an unofficial adoption in the family, along the lines of father died, brought up by grandparents or uncle, something like that.

Was he really only 18 when he got married, this Samuel? That's very young. But still, wartime and all that.

Might also pay you to look at William and Florence's marriage cert, see if you can get a better fix on these two individuals.
                    Seen a William R Iles aged 28, single living in Shoeburyness, Essex on 1901 census, born in India, occupation army officer.
                    Last edited by Wincot kid; 29-08-09, 14:29.

Comment

Working...
                    X