Biography and Geneology Master Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biography and Geneology Master Index

When I Web Search for Rutherford Graham Ikin who died in 1989 in England I get the BGMI which my subscription does not allow me access..
    I have read around it and it refers to something to do with America..
    My man was a school master at one time..
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what the BMGI is

It seems to be a part of Ancestry. Not sure what subscription you need for it, but I have sometimes found it possible to access restricted sites through Google - guess the security isn't always updated.

Comment

This is what ancestry has to say about BGMI under 'learn more'

Millions of Americans have been profiled in collective biography volumes such as Who's Who in America and Women of Science. The Biography and Genealogy Master Index was begun in the 1970s to index these names to aid researchers. The text has been updated periodically since the first edition appeared in 1980, most recently in 2008. The index, compiled by Mirana C. Herbert and Barbara McNeil, concentrates heavily on the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. In addition to providing the individual's name, birth, and death dates (where available), the source document is included. Sources for this index vary from Who's Who of American Women and National Cyclopedia to American Biography to Directory of American Scholars and American Black Writers. This database is an essential tool for locating persons who appeared in a "Who's Who" publication in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

The sources where your man appears are listed as follows;

Name: Rutherford Graham Ikin
      Birth - Death: 1903-
      Source Citation:
      Who Was Who among English and European Authors, 1931-1949. Based on entries which first appeared in The Author's and Writer's Who's Who and Reference Guide, originally compiled by Edward Martell and L.G. Pine, and in Who's Who among Living Authors of Older Nations, originally compiled by Alberta Lawrence. Three volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1978. (WhE&EA)
      Who's Who. An annual biographical dictionary. 126th Year of Issue, 1974-1975. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1974. (Who 126)
      Who's Who. An annual biographical dictionary. 134th Year of Issue, 1982-1983. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1982. (Who 134)
      Who's Who. An annual biographical dictionary. 135th Year of Issue, 1983-1984. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1983. (Who 135)
      Who's Who. An annual biographical dictionary. 137th Year of Issue, 1985-1986. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1985. (Who 137)
      Who's Who. An annual biographical dictionary. 140th Year of Issue, 1988. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1988. (Who 140)
      Who's Who. An annual biographical dictionary. 142nd Year of Issue, 1990. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1990. (Who 142)

Comment

Working...
      X