NBI request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBI request

Can anyone with access to the National Burial Index for England and Wales help this lady?

"My mother in law is currently in England and is having trouble
    locating the grave of her younger brother who died while on holiday in
    England in 1961.

She has never been to England before and it would mean a lot to her to visit his final resting place. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

The known details are as follows:

Leslie Samuel POWELL
    Died 28th Dec 1961
    Place Gloucester(shire)"

Beverley

Certainly isn't available on the NBI discs - coverage for Gloucestershire is very poor and no 20th century entries at all.
    Elaine

Comment

The best bet is probably to phone the local council - they should have a bereavement service which keeps cemetery records.

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Mary - I'll pass that information along. I haven't used the NBI myself, so I wasn't sure what it covered.

Beverley

Comment

According to Ancestry, the death was registered in q1 1962, in Gloucester C, which I assume is Gloucester City.

These are the people who should have the records, but a search is a bit expensive:

Genealogy Services

Comment

Wow, that's a bit on the pricey side!
            Elaine

Comment

Isn't it just - even if you do a personal search!

I'm assuming he was buried in Gloucester city - if he was visiting relatives, he could have been buried in an outlying village even though the death was registered in the city.

Comment

We've had a positive outcome...thought you might like to know, Mary and Elaine

An email today from my contact says:
                "
                I ended up contacting a very helpful fellow from the Gloucestershire council who went to a lot of trouble to locate the cemetery and find the burial for my mother in law who was thrilled.

Everyone has been so kind and it has made her trip very special.

Many thanks
                Moya"

Beverley

Comment

Oh, that's lovely Bev - so pleased for her.
                  Elaine

Comment

Ooh, brilliant, very pleased to hear that.

Comment

Working...
                    X