Lost Cousins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Cousins

Does anybody on here use Lost cousins, if so what do you think about them, have you had any contacts from adding your details ????
    Lynda

I use Lost Cousins and think it's a great idea. But I haven't had any contacts through the site yet even though I've had all my relevant relations' details on their site for a couple of years now.
    Sarah

Comment

Hi Lynda,

I've not had any contacts through Lost Cousins after putting 1881 details of my family on there a couple of years ago, and more recently the equivalent 1841. But, I think the idea is very good and the more people who do enter details the more chance of getting a contact.

The monthly newsletter is always worth reading. Try August's at

LostCousins newsletter 26/8/09

Do give it a go if you have time to enter up some details.

Carol

Comment

I'm sure it is a great idea, personally I've had no contacts and have been with them since it's start! but friends have! it's just my bad luck. and the more people who enter their stuff the better it wil be. Bearing in mind it costs nothing to put your stuff on I think everyone should do it, and when they have a free couple of days of full access make the most and hunt for matches and make contact. As I said, I've got no matches! but one day........
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Hi there, thanks for the replies, I have entered my details of the 1881 census, just wondered what everyone else thought, had anyone had success?? I do think it is a good idea, but did not know you could add 1841 as well now.

Comment

I have been on since they started as a freebee but have not had a single contact, if they let us upload a GEDCOM of our family tree then I think they may have some paying members. It a real pain in the neck entering individual members in the censuses when I have 8000 in a GEDCOM.
            Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
            http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Lynda, I entered my 1881 details and had one really good contact who was able to verify alot of family history for me. We actually met earlier this year when she and her family came to UK to visit relatives. So have a go ,it can do no harm.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

I was reminded of them by a post on here and have added some more names. Never had a contact yet though. It is free for August - maybe that is why it keeps crashing on me.........

Comment

I use LC and have had 2 contacts so far...

One was a cousin that I already knew about, the other was totally new
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've had two contacts - my brother and someone with whom I had already exchanged information anyway.

It's a good idea though as any matches are definite ones!

OC

Comment

Been on since it started, had one contact but was already in contact via GR. Haven't been on/updated anything for a while so might have more luck if I do.
                      Jay

Comment

I have been a member since 2005 and have added only my direct line ancestors for the 1881 and 1841.

I have had two contacts, one I had already been in contact with through GR and the other an absolute goldmine of information. She is a 'qualified' researcher who happens to also be heavily involved with the Family Search Pilot Project in Utah.

Like Moira I had the pleasure of meeting my contact when she and her husband (he is my connection) came to England this year.

I am not a paid member and I know my two contacts weren't/aren't either....They just took the opportunity of using the free contact weekends that I hadn't noticed.

I do like Lost Cousins and wish more people would use it, that way when I do a 'match search' I may well be tempted to pay to make contacts!

Peter does a great job running the site and like Carol I think his newsletter is always a good read.

Chris
                        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

I've been a member (unpaid) since LC started.

I've had 2 contacts - one who knew no more than I did and one who asked if I knew X. When I said I did she said she and X had the same info so I already had what she had. problem was X hadn't given me any info so I'm still none the wiser. lol
                          Kit

Comment

I've been a member for at least 3 years and never had a contact. However, I do think you need to give these things time. It was many years before I got my first - and only - contact from Curious Fox, and I get contacted sometimes now from people who have only just started their family history and come across old posts of mine from other sites.

You need a lot of patience in this lark!
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think my experience tallies with many of the posts here. I have my 1881 and 1841 names on the site, but have had no contacts - yet.

If/when I do get a contact, it will be reasonable to suppose it's likely to be a good match!

And - Yes - the e-Newsletter is definitely of use.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have been a member for several years, also Curious Fox. Nothing from either although did not realise 1841 names could now be entered. May enter them and see if it produces anything but have my doubts. Strangely, the only contacts I have ever had have come from GR !!!

Comment

I've been on Lost Cousins since July 2004...and have had my very first contact this week! Considering I have 365 names listed on the site, that doesn't seem much of a success rate to me. It's a good idea which doesn't seem to work very well. I wonder if not many people know about it? It is a bit fiddly to enter names as I recall so maybe that puts people off.

Ann
                                  ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Having said I've never had a match....I checked again yesterday, while it's free, and there is a match, on a direst ancestor, he is direct for this bloke too, just a different generation. Just hoping he will reply now!
                                    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Thanks for mentioning Lost Cousins, just been on there to add the details I have. I figure the more places you post info, the bigger the chance of getting a match somewhere along the line. Just a shame you can't but other census' on there.
                                      Hayley

Researching SCARLETT, HOLLAND, STICKLAND/STRICKLAND, QUICK - in Portsmuth area
                                      DAVIES, LLEWELLYN, WALSH in Wales

Comment

Working...
                                      X