Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO certificates

how long are you waiting lately?

I ordered one a week ago, almost to the minute. Thought it might have been here by now :(
    Rose

I ordered a death certificate on 15 August. Still not here. Rang them yesterday and they said it had got stuck in the system, and they would expedite it. Received an e-mail today and I should receive it in 2 days.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

depends where you live. takes a week to issue them, and another for them to arrive here in aus.

Comment

It's getting much longer in my recent experience. I used to be able to order by close on a Monday and they would arrive in Saturday's post, having been processed and despatched on the Friday. But the past couple of months they have been taking 10 days or more to arrive, and the last one, which arrived just yesterday, took 12 days! I recall something a few months back about a change in the processing system but didn't pay much attention, though it looks like it has had a significant impact. It just means I'm back to dashing for the post everyday like an overexcited puppy. Sigh.

Comment

I haven't had any trouble - ordered a birth a marriage and two death certs and they were here quickly tho not all on same day.

Comment

thanks all. Just have to be patient won't I? :D

*wonder if it is the old WDYTYA effect*
            Rose

Comment

I ordered a batch after 4.30pm on 18th and expected dispatch was 25th. They all came today.

Last year it was only taking about 3/4 days for expected dispatch.

I've noticed in this batch though that the receipts are changing. The old ones used to have the name of the person on them. I got 2 of these this time but the rest were from the Identity and Passport people, they only had index number on them, no name of the person concerned.

Comment

they take on average about 8 days now

Comment

Are they taking longer due to the recent WDYTYA series or is this
                  due to the summer

I ordered on the 20th August with dispatch date of the 26th

Clare

Comment

I ordered 6 last Tuesday and received them all yesterday

Margaret

Comment

So 2 weeks after ordering I know get an e-mail saying that after checking it doesn't match with what I said so it won't be sent out. Do they use their own sense or just check for exact match - i.e. I said he was a Master mariner, which was what he used to describe himself, but as this was a death certificate, someone could have said ships captain or so. Would they see the connection between the two descriptions?

Linda
                      Linda

Comment

I am equally frustrated on the non arrival of a death certificate - but for different reasons. I decided to use my local registry office as I thought it would arrive quicker and and support my local economy. Bad mistake. I delivered my request in person last Friday. I asked when I was likely to receive it and I was told by the end of this week. I have just chased them up and been told that it was posted on the 25th August - three days ago. However, Rotherham Registry office use TNT for their post and this can take up to a week to arrive!!.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                          So 2 weeks after ordering I know get an e-mail saying that after checking it doesn't match with what I said so it won't be sent out. Do they use their own sense or just check for exact match - i.e. I said he was a Master mariner, which was what he used to describe himself, but as this was a death certificate, someone could have said ships captain or so. Would they see the connection between the two descriptions?
                          No, they check for an exact match, so it's not usually a good idea to include the occupation.

Comment

thanks for the replies. The cert arrived today.
                            Rose

Comment

Well, you live and learn as they say. Thanks for the info - I think I'll just apply for the cert. Even if it's wrong, at least I will have ruled him out.

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                No, they check for an exact match, so it's not usually a good idea to include the occupation.
                                It's going a bit far to check for an exact match for occupation, in my opinion. With a death certificate, it's probably the one checking point you might be reasonably sure of. But it depends on how the informant expressed it, of course: Ship's captain, Mariner, Sailor, Seafaring Man (I have one of those!), all of those ought to pass ..

Does the GRO ever ring anyone up to check whether this sort of variation is acceptable?

Comment

Working...
                                X