Bayswater Burial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayswater Burial?

I have the death certificate for Thomas Bignill Pitman who died at his home in Craven Place Bayswater in February 1841. Can anyone suggest where is he likely to have been buried? Are there burial or memorial transcripts for this area available online anywhere?

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

is there a church nearby? or in a neighbouring village?

Comment

I photographed the area for the places of worship, it looks like he lived & died in the parish of Christ Church, Lancaster Gate or possibly St James Paddington

MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Stanford's Map Of London Showing The Boundaries Of Parishes 1877.

though I don't know if their graveyards were still being used at this date.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Jill. Is Craven Place actually shown on there? I can't see it. I'm clueless about London geography, both then and now, and it's interesting to see what the area was like.

kylejustin, thanks for replying - it's because I'm so clueless about London that I hoped someone might point me in the right direction. I'm fine with the villages in the areas where most of my ancestors lived, but when odd ones stray into London I'm completely lost.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

me too!! my great grandad's family were from london, and have been so difficult.
          i hope you find the burial entry!

Comment

No, I can't see a Craven Place but I looked at the modern Bayswater's Craven Hill and Craven Terrace on google maps and compared the old map with the new.

Comment

No, I can't see a Craven Place
              OK Jill, thanks. That's quite a relief - I thought maybe my eyes were at fault.

scuda

Comment

There was a Holy Trinity in that area, too, at one time.

Christchurch had a spire to compete with Salisbury in height! unfortunately the roof suffered terminal rot, and the church had to be demolished.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christ Church's spire remains, attached to a 1980s block of flats. Can't remember if any gravestones are still in situ but there are private gardens round it.

Image:FormerChristChurchLancasterGatePaddington JillontheA272.jpg - Family Tree Forum

Comment

I sang in the choir at Christ Church in the year or so up to its closure. It had a 4-manual Willis organ, if I remember correctly... with a different delay on each manual - and yet another different delay for the pedals.

It was a severe disappointment when it was realised that it wasn't saveable - we were in the midst of a reordering of the inside to make it more flexible. When the painters asked whether it was OK to be able to put a paintbrush through the structural roof timbers we realised we were onto a loser!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

To get back to the original question, 1841 must be fairly close to the closure date of most of the inner London churchyards and cemeteries and the opening of the big ones further out (Kensal Green and the like).
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sorry :o

Christine

Comment

Quite right, sorry to have veered off track.

Brompton Cemetery opened in 1841 and is not too far away. (I've checked Abney Park Cemetery, nothing there)

Comment

Thanks for all the answers, even those that veered off the point - I enjoy these bits of background information, so you don't need to apologise, Christine.

UJ, I'd wondered whether it would be churchyard or cemetery in 1841, and it looks as though a cemetery is possible, but not Abney Park apparently - thanks for checking, Jill.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                            X