Which One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which One?

Can I ask some kind soul to have a look at an IGI record which is puzzling me?

This is a record of a marriage between Thomas Johnson and Hannah Hains (Haines) on 29/3/1830. I only managed to get the record up by searching on All Counties, although it actually took place at Bishopstone by Swindon in Wiltshire (the family remained there for some time afterwards - borne out by census records and subsequent birth/marriage certs). Not the easiest of names to be working with, but I am confident that this is the right one.

The mystery to me, is that the IGI search brings up 2 records, one for Bishopstone by Swindon and one for Bishopstone by Salisbury. These are 2 entirely different villages, although the records appear to be for the same marriage. Both have different batch nos. I appreciate that transcription errors were made, but surely if they were working from the parish records they would know which village they were working on, wouldn't they?

Hi greybird,
    They are both submitted records, meaning they were submitted by a member of the LDS Church, rather than extracted from the parish registers. Submitted entries are not considered as reliable as extracted entries, as submitted entries could come from anywhere (from parish registers to completely made up).
    It is likely one of the submitters has made a mistake, and it is also possible that both entries are incorrect. You would need to view a copy of the original register entry to verify.
    Last edited by Cloggie; 27-08-09, 10:41.
    Sarah

Comment

The Family Search Library Catalog lists the following records:
      Place details ('England, Wiltshire, Bishopstone (near Salisbury)')
      Place details ('England, Wiltshire, Bishopstone (near Shrivenham)')
      These records can be ordered for viewing at your local LDS Family History Center
      Last edited by Cloggie; 27-08-09, 10:47.
      Sarah

Comment

Thank you Cloggie - I thought if it had a batch no it was a "proper" record? Unfortunately, my local FHS seems to have closed - next nearest one some distance away and I don't drive! I have had to rely on online information on this one so far.

Comment

No, submitted records can have batch numbers too. When you view a record on the IGI, under Messages, it will say "Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record." or something like "Record submitted by a member of the LDS Church".

This explains a bit more about batch numbers:
          IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America
          Sarah

Comment

Another lesson learned! Thank you.

Comment

hi greybird,

have you tried looking at hugh wallis site?

Hugh Wallis's Genealogical Web Sites

it uses the batch numbers from lds but only has extracted entries, you might have abit more luck with this
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

What out with the HW site the last update was 23 jul 2007 and a lot of newer records are on the site up to 1900 in some cases
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Both Bishopstones have an OPC - you could try contacting them to see if they can tell you any more.

Wiltshire Parishes A - C

Comment

Just managed to get back. I had tried the Hugh Wallis site, but neither Bishopstone was included in the list of parishes. I shal have a look at the Wiltshire parishes, now thank you Mary.

Comment

Have just sent a message to the OPC - hopefully they will be able to clarify!

Comment

Working...
                      X