sarah morton b.1835

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarah morton b.1835

i'd like help with sarah morton after 1891 please. she has proved very elusive.
    she is flexible with her age!!
    she was born in sept 1835, st anne's soho, westminster, to richard william morton and mary wyatt.

she was with her parents until 1881, when her mother died. her father died 1853. her occupation is usually boot binder.

1841- 36 crown st, st anne soho, westminster.
    ref- ho 107, piece 730, book 3

1851- 3 blunden row, st peter walworth, newington.
    ref-ho 107, piece 1567, folio 730, page 45.
    born marylebone, age 15.

1861- 5 st andrew place, newington.
    rg 9, piece 336, folio 140, page 2
    born london, age 25.

1871- flint st, st mary newington.
    rg 10, piece 619, folio 128, page 45.
    born soho, age 34.

1881- st peter walworth, newington.
    rg 11, piece 545, folio 11, page 15
    age 41, b.st giles. with an anne blakeman.

i just found her in 1891, again with anne blakeman- 34 merrow st, st saviour southwark.
    rg12, piece 361, folio 8, page 12.
    born st anne's, age 46.

i havn't found any likely deaths between 1891-1901, but these three are possibles or the 1901 census:

1)Sarah Morton- age 41, b.London Brixton. in London, Newington
    2)Sarah Morton- age 64, b.London Marylebone. in London, Hampstead
    3)Sarah Morton- age 62, b.Oxford Street. in London, Newington. Boot Machinist

could someone please look them up for me? especially the last one, as she is a boot machinist!!

1901 census Sarah Morton 62 boot machinist living at 34 Phelp Street, Kennington with Amy blakeman Lodger also boot machinist. RG13 379. I think this may be yours

All the best Ayse

Comment

oh!! thank you!! yay!! i think i found her death in 1917, southwark too!! yay!!

Comment

oh well done Ayse!!
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Was she Sarah Susannah MORTON?

If so, she's 76 in 1911, and living in a household in Kensington.

I ran thro' the whole alphabet as a surname-starter, but couldn't find anyone in the household with her.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanx for looking christine, but as far as i know, she didnt have a middle name. she could have made one up though.
            i have been trying to find anne blakeman in 1911 too, but she seems to have died. im not sure if she was just a work mate, or maybe related in some way.
            i havnt found a likely for sarah in the 1911, i just found this last night:

Deaths Jun 1917
            Morton, Sarah- 81. Southwark- 1d- 110

gives a birth year of 1836, so i think its highly likely. if she is my sarah, she wouldnt have had her 82nd birthday, until 7 sept. i will order it next week, unless someone has another thought on who this is.

Comment

the 1917 death seems to be hers.

11 may 1917 at the temporary workhouse infirmary on westmoreland road in newington south.

sarah morton age 81. of st mary newington parish, spinster, profession unknown. the informant was the acting master of the workhouse.

where would be the best place to find info on the workhouse?, would there be records of her there this late in time?

Comment

Here are some links which might have useful info for you...

Workhouse - the Story of Workhouses
                or www.workhouses.org.uk

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanx for those sites, they showed a lot of insight. i was wondering though, if the workhouses would have improved by 1917? i know they werent the best at conditions, but i was wondering if sarah had a hard time there, or if it would have been easier because it wasnt a hundred years earlier?

Comment

I have the impression that some workhouses were becoming hospitals by then - maybe as a result of WW1? She was in the infirmary, so perhaps it was not quite what it may seem.

Edit Have a look at the sites about workhouses. They were called something else by then and the Old Age Pension had started by 1909 I think, so I guess she wasn't destitute so much as ill and frail.
                    Last edited by Trina; 20-09-09, 11:43.

Comment

thats what i was thinking trina. i guess it's just a wait to see if they get the southwark workhouse records for those years on ancestry. they should tell me how long she was there. she may not have been annmate, like suggested, but it could have been the nearest hospital.

Comment

well, i have now found sarah in 1911! and she was telling porkies!! she says she was born in 1841 in oxford of all places! or oxford st. claiming she was newly married as well! i know its her, because her buddy annie blakeman is also present, claiming she was born in newington butts! they are lodging in st mary newington parish though, which is correct, and confirms i have the right death for her in the workhouse as well. i wonder what became of annie?

Comment

Working...
                        X