Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death in world war one

hi,

i did some research last night and found the death of my great uncle in world war one.
    i have his information but am not sure where to look to find out how he died, i have another relation (another great uncle) who died in the war and i found out he was injured and in a war hospital and died when it was bombed, but for the life of me i can't find out how i got this information.
    does anyone know if there is a place to find this information out??

thanks
    emma

i really should read things properly! it saw on the record that he was killed in action.
    thanks anyway
    emma

Comment

Presumably his death cert, should you be able to locate it, should give his actual cause of death.
      Jess

Comment

hi jess,
        would i look in the same place for his death certificate? or would i need to look at the records of the country he died in??
        didn't think of looking for a death certificate
        thanks
        emma

Comment

I would like a death cert for my reli who died in WW1 he is buried in Isreal so where like Emma would we have to look for it in the country of death , or would it be in the UK somewhere ?

Peter

Comment

peter
            I think the record number given at the end of a listing on the CWGC may have that....allan...(what`s his name and lets see if we can find him )...allan
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

arn't they in the overseas deaths on findmypast?

Comment

you will find overseas death certs on the findmypast website

Comment

thanks kyle and val i found the record on findmypast

Comment

My grandfather was killed in WW1, I found him on the CWG site and eventually found his death certificate which I sent off for, all it told me was the date that he died and that he died in France, the information was very sparse and didn't tell me anything that I didn't know. It wasn't like an ordinary death certificate that gives cause of death all it said was was that he was killed, so I was very disappointed.

Margaret
                    Margaret

Comment

The the best way to find out about deaths in ww1 is try and find which battle they died in offen on CWGC and then google it and find out what you can about he battle
                      wye surrey/london/birmingham
                      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

A number of the small cemeteries are on the old battle lines, the men are buried often where they fell. The Great War Forum has photos of many cemeteries, and of the battlefields. The Long Long Trail website which is the G.W. Forums daddy will tell you about the battle, also some war diaries mention particular names.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbe View Post
                          The the best way to find out about deaths in ww1 is try and find which battle they died in offen on CWGC and then google it and find out what you can about he battle
                          Bear in mind that men were often not killed in an official battle, but (for example) by shells or snipers while holding the line. Such deaths are still classed as 'killed in action'. War diaries are often the best source of information, although they vary in detail, and casualties are rarely named unless they were officers.

Margaret is right, Army death certificates are very sparse on detail. If the casualty died in the UK, though, perhaps in hospital from wounds, he would have a normal UK dc which would give more info.

Comment

The general opinion of the very knowledgeable guys on the Great War Forum is that the further back from the front line a death occurred - the more likely you are to find worthwhile information on a WW1 death cert.

So - if for example a man's body was never recovered - and he doesn't therefore have a grave - and is only remembered on a memorial - the information is not likely to be of any use to you

If he is buried further back from the line in a cemetery that developed around a CCS or hospital for example (the cemetery descriptions on the CWGC usually provide this background information) - there is more chance of finding some information on the certs of use to you

If he is buried well back from the front line - he was possibly in training or resting or travelling to/from England or in some sort of support role for example and was more likely to have died in some sort of accident or from illness perhaps - you are then most likely to find useful information on the death cert

The references KIA/DOW/Died in "Soldiers Died in the Great War" can be an indication of how death occured - but are absolutely not foolproof

Checking on the location of burial and doing some investigation into what was going on at the time of death is worthwhile if it's important to you to have specific information

But in the end - as with all certs it is a gamble - but you may be able to at least bring your investigation into that person to a close

Cheers
                            Sue

Comment

Don't forget the WW1 Army Service Records on Ancestry - you may be lucky to find something there.

I have one set of records which includes a copy of the letter sent to the widow notifying her of her husband's death (killed in action), the letter giving details of her pension award, and also the letter which was sent to her returning his personal effects, which were four handkerchiefs, some letters and a cap badge.
                              Elaine

Comment

Working...
                              X