Who does he belong to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who does he belong to?

I have a mysterious grandson called George Alden show up and I can't figure out who he belongs to.

I can only find him on the 1871 census and nothing

RG10; Piece: 1456; Folio: 59; Page: 22; GSU roll: 838785.

ANy help would be appreciated.

I looked for an Ireland/Alden marriage but couldn't find one - I was hoping a daughter married a Mr Alden.

The only birth for George Alden in Oxfordshire is

June qr 1864 Abingdon 2c 264.

Perhaps you could tell us about the family?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I just found a marriage between Mary Jane Ireland and William Alden in June 1/4 1858 Chipping NOrth Oxfordshire.

I am fairly sure that Mary Jane Ireland is the daugher of Joseph Ireland and Mary Brown...which would be the right family.

Comment

for those of us tha cant see the census, can you tell us about them?
        Jess

Comment

On the census George is living with his grandfather Jospeh Ireland.....no one else but the 2 of them.

Joseph ireland died 1-3- 1873 and I wondered what happened to the child.

Joseph Ireland and Mary Brown had the following children

Sarah..1827-1848...she married my great great grandfather John Brown and died while he was being transported to Tasmania for stealing sheep.....they had one son John Brown who I also can'r find after 1861.

John 1829,,,died in New Zealand 1903

Keziah 1833.....died in N.Z. 1907

Harriett..1836...I know nothing more.

Mary Jane 1838...died in N.Z. 1930....married William Alden is is the most likely in the family to be George;s mother.

Comment

1861 (Mary) Jane with William Alden and a daughter Emma. Transcribed as Aldin. I notice in 1851 with her family she is down as Jane as well.

RG9; Piece: 910; Folio: 31; Page: 8

1871. RG10; Piece: 1456; Folio: 58; Page: 20
            Fiona. xx

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry that has the son William Alden 1870 with parents William Alden and Mary Jane Ireland.
              Fiona. xx

Comment

I saw that tree...they only have Jane (Mary Jane) and William as having only one child William......not George.

This part of thefamily has been difficult to sort out.

Comment

And the name seems to have changed to Alding somewhere along the way as well. Maybe a passenger list would help with what children went over with them.

Do you know what year they went over to New Zealand?
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

No I haven;t any idea when they went over.

I can find John Ireland (the only boy of John and Mary) still on the census in 1871.......so I am only guessing when I say they probably went after the father Joseph died.

I am also presuming they all travelled together since they all appear to have gone over....except I can;t find Harriett......but there is a possible death for her aged 21.

Thank you for looking....I will check back tomorrow as it is time for me to call it a night.

Comment

John Ireland had a daughter Louisa who was born in September 1/4 1873 in Oxfordshire.....and she died 5th January in 1874 in N.Z..........so they must have travelled to New Zeland in that time frame.

Comment

Working...
                      X