fict or fact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fict or fact?

There has always been questions over mt gt gt grandads parentage, his wife was widowed in , well Im not sure as I cant find a death listing.
    I better start at the beggining with what I have...
    Susannah PAWSON born dec 1854. (Worksop)
    Married Thomas WRIGHT 1875 (Worksop)

1881 census...widdowed with 2 daughters. Hannah E.P WRIGHT age 4 and Harriet WRIGHT, age 2. (Anston, York)
    25/09/1884 she had my gt gt grandad Henry...his birth cert info...father blank, mother Susannah WRIGHT formerly WELLS (crossed out) PAWSON. This is a certified copy not original.

1891 Census she is listed as married to George PADGETT, with Hannah WRIGHT, Harriet WRIGHT and Henry WRIGHT listed as step childern. Ethel PADGETT daughter 11 months. (Anston)

1901 census shows Susannah and George, with Henry, now classed as "son" and Harriet as daughter.
    Hannah lives next door with her husband.

1904 Henry marries, wedding cert gives his name as Henry Wells WRIGHT and under fathers name is "Frederick" wells.

So I presume the father was a Mr WELLS? Well thats the family story, and apparently he was a teacher at the school attended by Hannah and later, Harriet, which was across the lane from their house. Apparently he left for Australia either on the news she was expecting or the birth of Henry.
    This fits as in about 1955-60 there was a solicitors advert in a newspaper asking for family of Henry WELLS WRIGHT(plus other details to place, mothers name ect) to make themselves known to a solictor in Australia. My Grandad tried but because he was WRIGHT not WELLS WRIGHT they wanted an avit davit(SP) from someone who knew Susannah and Henrys father and would swear to the "relationship"...this was to be provided by a man in the village, but died before it was completed.

So how do I move forward from here?

Hi Rachie and welcome to the forum.

Have you managed to track down a likely Frederick Wells?

In 1881 there is a Frederick Wells aged 25 in Anston. He and his wife and family are on pages 5 and 6 of that census district and Susannah is on page 9 so I would imagine the addresses are quite near to one another.

- Ancestry.co.uk

Only problem is that he is a tailor, however he is married which might explain why, if its the right man, he couldn't marry Susannah. I haven't managed to find him in 1891 or 1901 so again that could fit.

I'm not very good with Australian records but it might be worth trying to track him down to confirm (or otherwise) your family information
    Jackie

Comment

My name was Dorothy Marget Wright before marriage.My Father Robert Wright. His father was Henry Wells Wright. whoes mother was Sussanha Wright ne Pawson. She married a Mr Padgett.We were always led to believe that my granfather Henry Wells Wrights father was Henry Wells who moved to australia and had a sheep farm out there. At the time of his death his wife and son was no longer alive so the advert came in the paper for Henry Wells to contact a lawyer in Australia. Unfortunately because my granfather was illigiimate he could not claim the inheritance of 80,ooo pound instead some distant relative claimed it. ? Renshaw family. My uncle Harry contacted solicitorson on behalf of my granparents to no avail. Hope this helps in some way. Margaret.

Comment

Hi Dorothy and welcome to the Forum,
        As you can see there has been quite a long time since the last post on this thread but you may be able to make contact with the poster by clicking on their username and using the option to send a private message and if their e mail address is still current they will get it.
        I see that there is quite a few posts about this name find them by googling the name probably how you found this forum.
        Good Luck with your quest.

Edna

Comment

Working...
        X