Two new discoveries..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new discoveries..

I have been doing my tree for 6 years but have never really bothered about researching my aunts and uncles as I knew them from childhood.

I lost touch with mum's sister, Aunty Lil, after mum died in 1973. (She died in 1988). Her son had told me some time ago that she was born in 1930 but I had never found her birth record.

Tonight I did a FreeBMD search, using just the surname, mother's maiden name and county and widening the years to before mum's birth year of 1926 (just in case my cousin had the wrong year).

Well, to my surprise, not only did I find a birth record for a Josephine in 1930 with the correct mother's maiden name and specific area, I also found there was another sister born in 1928 (named after their mother, Alice). I never knew an Aunty Alice.

So Aunty Lil was born as Josephine!! I wonder why she was known as Lil?? Has anyone heard of Josephine being know as Lil or Lillian??

I also searched for a death for Alice within and couple of years of the birth and found her death record in the next quarter.

I have applied for the certificates and hope they prove me right.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Well done Lynne. Hope they are the right certificates.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Me too UJ!
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I did a similar thing and discovered Aunt Pat was Martha and Violet was Ivy - why I shall never know!!
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

My mother in law was Harriet Alma but she was always called Betty!

Anne

Comment

LOL Jean and Anne!
            Lynne

Comment

Yes nicknames and petnames can confuse everything.

I am so glad I knew my Dad's brothers, or I would never have found their births.
              Uncle Jim was really Jabez
              Uncle George was Jeuel George
              Uncle Sam was actually Harry Sam

only my Dad, William was called Bill but at least it was a pet name for his first name that was recognised!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Several of my acquaintances are known by their middle names.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

yes my one regret with my Uncle Bert was not knowing his real name!! I was trying to research his second w war Prisoner of war records but trying to find a "Bert Taylor" is like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack! I have tried plain Bert also Albert and William with hundreds coming up each time. Add to that I do not know his date of birth, father's name or place of birth has made it a nightmare. Why did I not ask??? I could of course look for his marriage certificate, which would help me a lot and I may have to resort to purchasing that if I want to take this one any further.:(

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Yes nicknames and petnames can confuse everything.

I am so glad I knew my Dad's brothers, or I would never have found their births.
                    Uncle Jim was really Jabez
                    Uncle George was Jeuel George
                    Uncle Sam was actually Harry Sam

only my Dad, William was called Bill but at least it was a pet name for his first name that was recognised!
                    Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                    Several of my acquaintances are known by their middle names.
                    Nell
                    Did you know their real names?

UJ,
                    My OJ is Thomas John but as his father was Tom, he has always been known as John (Except on official documents). ;)
                    Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      I did a similar thing and discovered Aunt Pat was Martha
                      This seems to be quite common in the Midlands for some reason - I've come across quite a few Marthas who were also known as Pattie, or even Pattern.

The M to P variation works with several names:

Mary - Molly - Polly

Margaret - Meg/Maggie - Peggy

Martha - Mattie - Pattie

Comment

took me a while to sort to my great grandad's uncles and aunts: richard- john richard, herbert-william herbert, sydney-walter sydney, (father) harry-thomas henry, daisy-edith rose, mimi-marian emma, lucy-caroline lucy, pansy-catherine frances!

great grandad was called jack.

Comment

We all seem to have the same problem with names my Aunt was Amelia Mary aka Minnie!!and Ellen Amy was known as Nellie although that seems more common

Comment

I had an uncle who was christened Milton Roger but called Peter. The story was his father wanted to call him Milton Roger and his mother Peter, so they christened him with one name and called him the other.

Linda
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

All my OH's grandmother's siblings, except one sister, were known by their second names. Their surname is Williams and it took me ages to find them all. OH's grandmother was Ellen Amelia, but known as Nell. Her sister was Ethel, known as Betty, but married as Emily! She really didn't like her name did she! LOL
                              My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Janet - have you tried Bertram? My Grandfather was sometimes called Bert, short for Bertram - though known to most as Tom - his second name!

Comment

Finding our relatives on bmd's (and certs) can be an eye opener with names...

I had an auntie Lil, but found her real name was Elizabeth Phoebe!! Nobody in living history knew that!
                                  Auntie May was actually Charlotte May.
                                  Grandfather known as Pat, was really John.
                                  Auntie Iris was actually Lilian Iris.
                                  G grandmother Elizabeth Louisa was known as Louisa, but by others, Betsey.
                                  But g.aunt Betsy was actually named Betsy.
                                  And Nellie was really Nellie.
                                  Grandma Polly was Mary.
                                  And Frederick David has always been David.

Confusing?
                                  They did it deliberately!!!
                                  Karen x

Comment

My mum kept telling me she had a gr aunt Cissy. I have been searching for her with no luck for nearly a year. Struck gold with a contact made on Ancestry who mentioned a shared gr uncle's wife Augusta was called Cissy! My gr gr grandparents also gave their children around 4 names each, the boys all named after Salvation Army leaders. Has been fun trying to track them by guessing which name they used!

Annette
                                    oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Comment

My mother-in-law was born Florence Eva, but on her marriage cert (and ever after) she was Eva Florence - not even her son knew different. Whilst searching for birth dates for her siblings, I also found a baby sister that died at 3 months - an aunt my husband knew nothing about.

Comment

I now wonder whether my mum actually knew she had a sister who died as she was only two at the time so it's quite possible her parents never told her.
                                        I also wonder whether my cousin knows his mum was Josephine and not Lillian. I don't see him any more but have an address so I may write to him when I get the certificate.
                                        Lynne

Comment

Working...
                                        X