looking for information on to lots of grandparents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for information on to lots of grandparents

hi my name is jan i am looking for information regarding my grandfater william thomas born i think 1908 he married my grandmother sylvia pither in 1932 in liverpool i have always thought he came from wales where about don,t no he had a sister called miriam,also jinny he had a brother called ieuan (not sure if spelt right) don,t no his parents names only thomas surname, also my other grandmother a florence sale she married a william clark the only info i have on them is what i have found florence born in1901 and william 1900 i do no florence is so i believe from french decent again don,t have information regarding either of there parents. just paid credits on 1911 cencus and got nothing once again, any help would be brilliant.

welcome to FTF
    do you have the marriage cert for william & sylvia?
    June 1932 Thomas William Pither W. Derby 8b778
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Do you have your grandparents marriage certificate? That would give you William's age and also his father's name and occupation. That might help to find him on the 1911 census

This is the reference you need to order the certificate for £7 from the GRO.

June 1932, William THOMAS, PITHER, West Derby, volume 8b, page 778.

Anne

Comment

Hi Leah

It's important to get the certificates so that you don't go off on a wrong line.

Many of us have assumed that information we've been told is correct but on obtaining the certificates sometimes find all isn't what we thought. Second marriages, no father's names etc etc.

Also its often helpful to find who the witnesses were to marriages as they're often family members and leads to other avenues of research ie sister's married name

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

possible birth
          sylvia pither jun 1909
          Pither Sylvia Salford 8d41
          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

possible marriage
            Jun 1931
            Clark William E Sale W.Derby 8b653

William E Clark Florence I Sale Everton, St. Polycarp Liverpool 2124WD/3/287

Last edited by jean; 26-08-09, 19:42.
            Jean

Comment

From Lancashire bmd

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1932
              Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
              PITHER Sylvia THOMAS William
              West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended
              Liverpool REG_WD/491/138

They don't seem to have been married in a CofE church.

Comment

Originally posted by ~~Lesley~~ View Post
                West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended

They don't seem to have been married in a CofE church.
                You won't know until you get the certificate. It could have been a register office wedding or it could be at a church that didn't have its own register or the vicar/minister wasn't licensed to perform marriages at that church.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X