Dawson or James????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawson or James????

Can anyone on here throw any light on this subject?
    My grandfather - on his marriage certificate in 1942 he stated his name was William Harold Dawson, and that his fathers name was also William Harold Dawson. When he died, his death was registered as William Harold Dawson. The age on death and when he married means he was born in 1907/8. However, we don't know where he was born. My grandmother told me that he had changed his name from William Harold James. When you look through the birth indexes for 1907/8 there are endless possibilities. Where do I start? I don't want to order all those birth certificates! I have attached the scan of the marriage certificate. I have tried the 1911 census, but it drawers a blank. There seem to be no William Dawsons with the father also called William Dawson. Any ideas? He got married in Rugby, and died in Coventry. There are 5 ideas of where he was born and non of them are any where near each other!
    Help! You can always email me: lisajaynejohnson@fsmail.net
    Cheers!
    Attached Files

I have one that all documentation including army records were william c***** from durham and infact turned out to have been christened william c***** N**** . he was illegitimate and the c***** was his fathers name. Have you looked on 1911 census using the surname James?
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

there is 1 william james b1907 aston warwickshire on 1911 census.
      sorry can't read marriage cert - is father alive and what was his occupation? maybe that will give you a clue
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Hi Lisa

have sent you an email so please check you inbox and Junk

I have titled it with your grandfathers full name
        Last edited by WendyP; 26-08-09, 19:29. Reason: spelling correction
        WendyP

Comment

on the marriage certificate it states that his father was a garage proprietor and that he was dead, this is in 1942. My mother and uncle remember going to see their grandfather in the early 50's. so either my grandfather lied on his marriage cert, or the man they went to visit wasn't their grandfather!
          there was a story that he ran away from home when he was a teenager and changed his name...but I don't know how much truth there is in it!

Comment

Working...
          X