Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I’m still stumped!

Well I’m still stumped!
    I can’t seem to find anything about Robert Wilson Master Mariner which fits with my tree!
    We know Mary Ann Wilson my 3xggma was b 1827 in Whittingham, d 1896Northumberland and declares her husband to be Robert. We can find no trace of a marriage certificate, We find Mary Ann in the 1851 census with son William b 1850 died 1862 (in the Hartley Pit disaster) living in Hartley and we can trace her through the census returns til her death. On the children’s birth certificates he Robert is listed as a merchant seaman ( Wilhemina Dec 1867). We can find Robert on their daughters marriage certificates – a Master mariner 1870 when Alice married John Thomas Spence and Ann Isabella married William Howard in 1872. Then in the 1881 Census Maryann declares herself as a widow. We can’t find a birthdate, birthplace or death cetificate either. I have looked up Robert Wilsons in the Lloyds Captains register without success – they are all too young, too old, still alive after 1881……. Any suggestions?

what was Mary Anns maiden name ???

Comment

Not quite sure what you are looking for but the Hero registered 1850/08/08, built in Swansea, Glamorganshire in 1814. Subscribing owner/s listed: Robert Wilson of Hartlepool, Durham, master mariner.
      Not sure if this helps or if it your man.
      John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Hi Val'
        Mary ann's maiden name was also Wilson according to the children's birth certificates. Can't find a marriage cert, though you might have thought it would be easy with a Wilson marrying a Wilson.

Thanks John - that is one worth looking in to. We had not thought about owners of ships!

I will just keep looking.
        Ros

Comment

Good luck with your hunt, Skingers!

I have a similar situation with a master mariner - he's not on any census, no birth/baptism found, nothing in the merchant navy records. Yet I have a photo of the man (very early, taken about 1860).

So frustrating!

Comment

Hi Lindsay
            All I can say is Good Luck I feel like I have been on the hunt for my mariner forever - in the family we refer to him as the pimpernel - tricky guys these sailors!
            Ros

Comment

Hooray!

At last I have found my scarlet pimpernel .....I looked for Robert Wilson on FMP in their deaths at sea file between 1872( when his daughter married) and 1881 ( when his wife declared herself a widow in the census) After eliminating those who were the wrong age I was left with a 54 year old.
              I contacted GRO and ordered the certificate from the Marine Deaths Indices 1846 - 1902 giving the page reference.
              My certificate arrrived today confirming my choice as it had our ancestors home address! Sadly I have yet to find out where he died as this is not stated but the ship is listed as missing since september 21st 1878 and the cert says supposed drowned.
              The certificate is dated December 1878. How long did people have to wait to be declared dead? I thought it was 7 years ?
              Anyway now I have the ship's official number i can find out about its past through the crew lists in http://www.mun.ca/mha/index.php
              Just thrilled with my success at last. Haven't stopped smiling since tea time!
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-10-09, 21:51. Reason: getting hyperlink to work :)

Comment

Originally posted by skingers2 View Post

At last I have found my scarlet pimpernel .....I looked for Robert Wilson on FMP in their deaths at sea file between 1872( when his daughter married) and 1881 ( when his wife declared herself a widow in the census) After eliminating those who were the wrong age I was left with a 54 year old.
                I contacted GRO and ordered the certificate from the Marine Deaths Indices 1846 - 1902 giving the page reference.
                My certificate arrrived today confirming my choice as it had our ancestors home address! Sadly I have yet to find out where he died as this is not stated but the ship is listed as missing since september 21st 1878 and the cert says supposed drowned.
                The certificate is dated December 1878. How long did people have to wait to be declared dead? I thought it was 7 years ?
                Anyway now I have the ship's official number i can find out about its past through the crew lists in [URL="http://www.mun.ca/mha/index.php"].
                Just thrilled with my success at last. Haven't stopped smiling since tea time!
                Well done! it's brilliant isn't it when you make a breakthrough like that. You keep smiling all week you deserve it.
                Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret!
                  Ros

Comment

Working...
                  X