Sun Fire Office Records??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Fire Office Records??

I was just wondering if anyone had looked at any Sun fire office records which are held at the Guildhall Library, and if so what information they contain?.

I have found 4x gr grandfather as the insured person in records from 1812 on The TNA site, and just wondered if it was worth the trip to London to view them.

Nicky

Probably not worth a special trip, but worth a detour if you're there for some other reason. I got copies sent to me - for a moderate fee.

You get a copy of the ledger page(s) which tell you what was being insured - by whom - how long for - and for how much. There's may be real estate - with an address, and maybe a description of the use to which it was put.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi

I think you can order a photocopy if you have the exact reference.

I have seen a few - they say how much the property was insured for and i guess the main use is that it tells you the address which helps if people have moved about between censuses. This is what it said about my ex's gt x 3 grandfather (useful because this chap has eluded me on censuses)

1834 Sun Fire Insurance Record (checked Guildhall Nov 2007)
      MS 11936/537/ policy 1168547 - date: 7 January 1834
      Insured: "James Robins of no. 30 Old Street, broker of household goods, on his household goods, wearing apparel, printed books, plate in his new dwelling house situate as aforesaid, no cabinet makers or carpenters' work done nor any pipe stove therein. Brick & timber. Fifty pounds, stock and utensils therein only one hundred and fifty pounds."

I have another one, which just gives the chap's name and occupation and address (which I had from the census) but gave exact details about where in the road this house was, which was helpful.
      Last edited by Little Nell; 26-08-09, 14:38.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

At the moment they are at the LMA as the Guildhall is havng building work done.

The last time I asked about the cost for 4 documents I was quoted about £20, this was a couple of months ago and through the Guildhall.

Luckily I made it to the LMA a few weeks ago and for the cost of a one day camera pass I photographed the 4 I wanted and a good few more for the princley sum of £3ish

Chris
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

These used to be listed, virtually in full, on the old A2A site!

OC

Comment

Thnk you all for your input......

Won`t be rushing up there to view them then!!, but if I make a trip to london will try and take a look, I certainly don`t think I want to pay a great deal for them, but may email the LMA with the reference number and see how much they`ll charge..

OC....Why oh why do they update and change sites?.......it would have been very handy to have the info accessable online......

Thanks again to all

Nicky

Comment

Yes, I miss the a2a site.

Comment

Do you have problems with this link?
                The National Archives | Access to Archives

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine!

Comment

Yes, I have problems full stop with TNA!!!!

However, I have managed to get on there recently and look at some old A2A stuff. It has been "trimmed" and you now only get a couple of lines (if that) of documents which used to be almost complete when on the old A2A.

OC

Comment

It was on the drop-down list from the Quicksearch page.
                      JavaScript Support Check
                      That has links to all the likely TNA etc type websites.

Christine

Comment

Thank you Christine for giving an alternative link...however...i came up with same results as before, just a couple of lines, no additional info at all.

Nicky

Comment

Working...
                        X