Ancestry DNA Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry DNA Test

Just wondering if anyone has done a Paternal DNA test ?...and have you found anything interesting?

Ancestry are half price at the moment.
    This test is for the male "Y" chromosome only...so, maybe the girls may know someone who has had the test!

I've purchased and waiting for my results.
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

I'm not sure quite what you mean - do you mean you have had a DNA test to prove who your father is, or do you mean you have had an ancestral Y-DNA test?

If the latter, I will let Garstonite comment on the results he got...he wasn't very pleased.

OC

Comment

Sorry OC,

It's the ancestral Y-DNA test.
      Steve.

Comment

is that the 79$ test or another offer?
        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
        http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Yes, now on my 10th week and my 2nd kit.

They never received the 1st kit I returned.
          Steve.

Comment

Steve

What are you hoping to find out from this test?

OC

Comment

OC,

Maybe another link in my family tree, hopefully from Canada or the State.

One of my ancesters went to Canada and returned after 6 years, this was in the late 1800's.....so who knows really what you could find.

I attended a couple of talks on DNA at WDYTYA show in London last year and decided to take the test when the prices come down.
              After all the time I've waited I should have taken the test at the show.

I was just interested if anyone had taken the test and what they found...good or bad!
              Steve.

Comment

Well, you may be very VERY lucky and a hitherto unknown male relative may have also taken the test, but if your "Canadian" relatives are all female, you'll never know about them.

My own feeling is that this is a waste of money because the results are so very vague and general as to be virtually useless. I believe the 67 marker test is the most detailed they do, and this could put you into a pool of thousands of men with the same 67 markers. Unless you ALL already have detailed family trees, it won't be a lot of help.

67 markers can only (usually) narrow the reults down to a common male ancestor within the last 20 generations, (I think) which could be 1000 years.

However, will be interested to hear your results when you get them and whether you are pleased with them.

OC

Comment

LOL!

This is what Ancestry's MD has to say about their DNA testing:

"DNA testing will only tell you that you ARE related - it will not tell you how. We leave that exciting challenge up to the genealogist."

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X