Something that I have been wondering for months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something that I have been wondering for months

On my OH's side I have an ancestor called Obadiah in 1861 and then in 1881 he calls himself William it is definitely the same man. I suppose he changed it to fit in!

I haven't seen this name Obadiah before has anyone else, this gentleman came from Braughing in Hertfordshire.

It's a biblical name I think.

Sounds like something out of Dickens.

Comment

Yes, I have several Obediahs. They were all the children of non-conformist parents.

I have one family which has, poor kids,

Obediah
      Onesimus
      Edom
      Ezekiel
      Kerenhappuch

and, um,
      Mary!

OC

Comment

The registrar for Cirencester reg district was Obediah something & he shortened it to Obed. I have several family certs he did.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I thought it looked like an a not an e - Obadiah!

Thank you that has explained a bit I thought it sounded a bit religious in quakerish type way.

I'll have to look for the non conformists in Braughing, Hertfordshire.

When he came to London he change it to William. I'm not surprised at that.

Comment

Maybe he got fed up with it being mispelt?
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

He'd have been really fed up with the music hall song "Swing me higher, Obadiah":D (if he was still alive in 1907)

Comment

Obediah is one of the 'minor' prephets int he Old Testament and the book named after him is 9th from the end of the OT.

Anne

Comment

is he the son of William & hester Miller?

if he thought Obeidah was rough, I wonder what his sibling PELATIAH thought?
                  Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                    is he the son of William & hester Miller?

if he thought Obeidah was rough, I wonder what his sibling PELATIAH thought?

I have only just seen this sorry. I'm not sure where did you get those names from?

I have a bit of a problem with the Millers there seems to be two families with very similar names in the Hertfordshire area but the one I am interested in (although I'm not sure he's the right one) is this Obadiah that seems to change his name however I could have got the William Millers mixed up the census are not very helpful.

The only reason I think this is the right one is I tracked back his daughter Elizabeth Ann Miller born in Swindon, Wilts in 1863. Who is my OH's Great Grandmother. Her father worked on the railways. This family has caused me problems.

Comment

bump

Comment

Anthony Trollope has a character called Rev. Obadiah Slope in the Barchester Chronicles.He's a wonderful caricature - very funny.

It's a biblical name - see here for details:

Obadiah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ann
                        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

oh yeah :D very funny

Comment

I have an Obadiah in my tree. He died from heart failure whilst building a train tunnel. We always thought he died in an accident whilst building the tunnel.

His father was Jeremiah, so they liked their biblical names, but they were not non-conformist.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

When I was a child, I used to play a game with my friends:

We would stand opposite each other.

Then one would say "Obadiah" and make a bow.

The other would reply "Jeremiah" and also make a bow.

And then we would repeat it until one of us burst out laughing.

The one who kept a straight face longest was the winner.

Try it, its great fun!:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                                I have an Obadiah in my tree. He died from heart failure whilst building a train tunnel. We always thought he died in an accident whilst building the tunnel.

His father was Jeremiah, so they liked their biblical names, but they were not non-conformist.
                                Funny enough this one worked on the railways too.

The reason I bumped this thread is because I was wanting Jessbowbag to tell me where she got the names William and Hester Miller but I now know it was on the LDS site. I found them anyway.

Although there isn't a birth for Obadiah on there I suppose its possible they were his parents. I think I need someone to go through the census I have to work out if the William Miller on the 1891 and also on the 1881 but seems to be missing on 1871 although I have found the family and then seems to be Obadiah on the 1861 census!
                                Last edited by Guest; 31-08-09, 14:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X