TNA changes - Nick Barratt - Action4Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNA changes - Nick Barratt - Action4Archives

I thought that there may be folks here who'd be interested, and I couldn't see a pre-existing thread... tho' I know I've raised this matter (in general terms - not the Action4archives bit) before.

From a message on a mailing list:
    A group of users led by Nick Barrett is trying to fight the planned service
    reductions to be announced by Nathalie Ceeney who is both Chief Executive
    and Chairman of the Board of the TNA.
    So I had a look...
    Action 4 Archives
    Welcome to the Action 4 Archives. We are a group of historians, academics, independent researchers, archive sector professionals and regular users of archives that are concerned about the challenges facing archives in the UK.
    This website was created to raise awareness and co-ordinate a response to planned voluntary cuts to the budget of The National Archives (TNA), which we believe will disproportionately affect public service and damage the core function of the institution.
    ...we attended the Open Forum meeting on 20 August, where the proposals were further discussed. It was at this meeting that TNA revealed that it would be charging £5 per day to use its car park from January 2010.

We welcome your comments on these proposals and our response. Please email them to our campaign co-ordinator Dr Nick Barratt at admin@action4archives.com

There are a few points to bring to your attention that TNA have not announced.

* This savings exercise is voluntary, not compulsory
    * Statistics compiled by TNA to justify their online policy are misleading – they omit data showing increased document production and visitor numbers onsite, nor compare like with like when assessing what comprised a document download and an onsite production. This misinformation is being passed to the relevant Minister responsible for TNA
    * Displaced staff members were only informed one hour before the meeting when the proposals were announced, and have expressed concern over the management style displayed during this process.
    * Redundancies and restructuring is not likely to be uniform across the institution, and may affect front line services more than others
    * At a time when staff are facing redundancy, according to the 2008-09 Annual Report Natalie Ceeney was awarded a £20,000 pay rise, equivalent to 16% of her basic salary – sufficient to save one post within her organisation.
    Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Thanks for posting this Christine, as a regular visitor to the NA at Kew (usually on a monday) and by car, I am not happy about the proprosed changes and wonder whether the £5 a day car park charge will apply to the disabled parking spaces round the back.

I've sent a message to Nick Barratt through that link.
    :D Carolyn

Comment

nudge to keep it in th public eye!

C
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
      X