death cert problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death cert problem

i received a family tree recently, which said my scottish ancestor died on 27 nov 1856. the only death for a dugal/d matheson for scotland in 1856 died in craig, lochalsh. i got the cert, and it's clear that the death date related to this cert. but, there is nothing on this cert that clarifies whether this dugald and my dugald are the same person.

the death cert details are: dugald matheson, widower. (no occupation)
    age 67 (which fits), son of murdoch and rebecca matheson (mothers maiden name). informant was duncan mcrae, nephew.

my dugald was born in lochalsh around 1790. he married firstly, beatrix mckenzie, (i cant find details on either marriage) and secondly rebecca mclennan. he is in applecross for 1841 and 51. he had 7 children. there are baptisms for 4 of the kids, from both marriages.

now there are a few things which make me think this death cert is correct.
    1) he was born in lochalsh, so may have been visiting relatives when he died.
    2) a son and two daughters emmigrated to australia with aunt mary and uncle farquhar matheson. we always thought farquhar was dugald's brother.
    but, mary's parents were a murdoch and rebecca matheson, which tallies with the death cert.
    3) the death was in a village called craig, where farquhar and mary were married, and all their children born.

can someone see, if there is a dugald matheson living in the village of craig in lochalsh in 1851 on ancestry? if i can find a dugald that fits with this death, he may still be related, but i might be able to rule this death out.

and secondly, is it possible to find a duncan mcrae in 1851 and 61 in craig on ancestry? i may be able to find his parents, and therefore add some more info to this cert, it may not help with proving dugald is mine, but it may help.

i will of course check out scotlands people if some census entries look helpful.

There is a Dugald Matheson with wife Rebecca aged 86 alive and well in the 1881 Scottish census in Lochalsh
    Dugald Matheson 86
    Rebecca Matheson 66
    Catherine Matheson 31
    Alexr Matheson 29
    John Matheson 9
    Kenneth Ross 1 1/2

He is a Crofter
    Last edited by Frazzled; 25-08-09, 08:54. Reason: Adding occupation

Comment

thanx, but my dugald was a widower in 1851. i should have noted that.

i think i may have found a plausible duncan on the igi. christened in 1837, lochalsh, son of john mcrae and catherine matheson. there is a submitted entry for their marriage in 1826, which is a record on sp. i think its likely because dugald called his 3rd daughter catherine.

Comment

There is this in Applecross
        Dugald Mathesin 60
        Alex Mathesin 20
        Mary Mathesin 28

Grand Serv & Farmer Of 2 1/2 Acres

Comment

thats my dugald in 1851 thanx. i was hoping someone could find one in lochalsh.
          i guess im not convinced the death cert is for my dugald.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't find another Dugald in 1851. Also having trouble with Duncan McRae with a father John and mother Catherine. There are a lot of Duncans in the 1851 census but none seem to fit. There are a couple who are servants but that doesn't tell us who his parents were.

Comment

thanx for looking frazzled. maybe it is my dugald then.

Comment

i may have found this duncan mcrae's mother.

catherine mcrae d.30 jan 1876, earbusaig, lochalsh. age 85 b.1791, widow of alexander mcrae, crofter. parents murdoch, crofter, and rebecca matheson (her maiden name), informant, duncan mcrae, son.

so the death cert for my dugald, if he is mine, says parents are murdoch a farmer and rebecca. there is a kenneth dying in lochalsh in the 1860's with same parents too. so, am i doing alright? is catherine, dugald and kenneth's sister? and i know abscence of evidence isnt proof of evidence of abscence, but is this my dugald's death?

Comment

Working...
                X