Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News Finally

All,

Just wanted to encourage you all that it is possible to find new connections out there. I have just been contacted by a living relative who has shared some interesting information with me.
    The contact was made through GR, which is where I had my family tree when I first started doing some research nearly 3 yrs ago. I now have an off-line tree where I keep all firm data which has been confirmed by certs etc, but I do still use GR as a bit of a 'dumping ground' putting speculative info & rumour on there until I have a chance to follow it up.
    My GR subscription was due for renewal at the end of this month and having had no useful or relevant contacts via it I did consider cancelling. I think it was a bit of nostalgia that made me decide to keep it on for another 6 months and lo & behold, today I had contact from the grandaughter of my great-grandfathers twin brother!

So don't give up hope anyone! Even though my new contact is 'new' to this she has still told me a few useful things, and it's also just nice to have someone I can bore with my obsession, knowing she is just as interested as me.
    Hayley

Researching SCARLETT, HOLLAND, STICKLAND/STRICKLAND, QUICK - in Portsmuth area
    DAVIES, LLEWELLYN, WALSH in Wales

That's very good news Hayley. It's great when that happens!

Comment

Hayley

That's great - but she could still have contacted you even if you hadn't renewed your sub!

OC

Comment

Oooh, that's interesting OC!

GR have just contacted me to say they haven't collected the subscription cos my card details have changed & now I'm having third thoughts.

If I don't renew, I know I can still keep/update my tree on there, but I didn't think I could message other members but maybe I'm wrong then.
        Hayley

Researching SCARLETT, HOLLAND, STICKLAND/STRICKLAND, QUICK - in Portsmuth area
        DAVIES, LLEWELLYN, WALSH in Wales

Comment

Hayley

if you do not subscribe to GR you can still keep your tree on there, other people can contact you BUT you cannot contact others through GR, though if you have a friend who subscribes to GR then you can always make contact through that friend.

I am no longer a member of GR since almost 3 years ago but people regularly contact me. I have one at present who is showing same family interest on GR but I will wait for him to contact me, as when I looked he has very little of the tree on there for me, and one he has is not correct year of birth/bap so he only has census info which does not augur well for my own interest, so no doubt if he does make contact I will be giving out all the info! Mixed feelings!!

Janet

Comment

You just can't tell, though. Lots of people don't keep everything on their GR tree. I know I haven't updated mine for ages, and there are probably still lots of 'approximate' dates on there which I've since confirmed off-line. See what Hayley said:

Originally posted by Milly Molly Mandy View Post
            I now have an off-line tree where I keep all firm data which has been confirmed by certs etc, but I do still use GR as a bit of a 'dumping ground' putting speculative info & rumour on there until I have a chance to follow it up.
            This week I was trying to find relatives of someone for another research project (not my own family), and have struck gold by finding a close relative, although no one seems to have the chap on their tree.

Comment

True, not everybody keeps all tree on GR. I certainly don't, with less than 100 names on there, but I do keep enough on GR to whet the appetite of anyone who is seriously researching my tree back to the 1600's, and I cannot find any clues on here at all back to the 1600's going sideways, frontways and all ways, so I am pretty confident of my above statement. But that has come after about 30/40 years of researching.

Janet

Comment

Working...
              X