X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trojan

Does anyone know anything about the above please
    Julie passed away 5th November 2012.

Which one? There are a lot of them about.

Comment

A Trojan is a type of virus.

It is called a trojan, as it comes as part of a programme that claims to do one thing for you, but actualy does another.

A True Virus will infect a PC and then replicate itself via attachments etc on other PCs, while a Trojan is only activated by downloading and installing a programme that includes it.

So NEVER install software that you do not know where it has come from.
      DO NOT EVER respond to these 'you have been infected' pop-ups, who tell you to install their cleaners, as these are trojans.

More information here
      Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 25-08-09, 00:23.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks

Trevor..have had a look at your link.....what has happened my sons laptop was scanning & it came up he has a trojan risk is high & it won't mend

As i know nothing about computers i don't know what to do

Many thanks

Comment

Which program did you scan it with, and what did the message say exactly?

Comment

He has Norton on there and now i can't remember what it said

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
              He has Norton on there and now i can't remember what it said
              I never come across a virus or a trojan that Norton can't fix yet, when it detects it during a scan it should offer you the option to fix it. I've also never known Norton to allow a trojan to be downloaded, it pops up and refuses to let you download an infected file. Have you just installed Norton because it will scan your system before it installs, is this when it's being detected.
              Best Wishes
              Ron
              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Get him to scan again, and write down the message that comes up. Without knowing the name of the trojan, nobody can really help.

Comment

Use the Mcafee online scanner to carryout a scan.
                  It will then advise you on the virus and action to take.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

If Norton couldn't mend the infected file it will have recommended deleting it, and if you clicked on 'OK' at that point, it will have deleted the trojan and the problem is gone.

The "repair" option is only useful if one of your own files has been infected by a virus and you need a clean version of the file. If the file Norton's talking about was something you downloaded or that came attached to an email then it's almost certainly not worth worrying about.

Hope this helps.
                    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Thanks everyone

We scanned his laptop again and nothing came up..is that a good sign

Comment

My brother had this trojan. A popup told him he had a virus and he clicked on it to see what it meant - that did it!

He has Norton 360 and he ran it four times - each time it said that it had located and removed the virus - but still the problem persisted - stopping him from staying on websites and this pop-up flashing all the time.

He shut it down and opened up he following day - and it was still a problem. He then shut it down (even took plugs out of the wall sockets) and the following day, it booted up and purred along nicely - all fixed!
                        How? - we still don't know, but it would have to have been the Norton!

Comment

Winnie

Some Trojans, if connected to the Internet, will immediately re-install themselves in the background.

This is part of the information I put the link to.

Trev

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                          X