Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Henley?

Hi ,
    I am not having much luck finding a relative's birth record and now have found a place of birth on some Poor Relief Records.
    She is listed as having been born in Henley - I apologise for my lack of English geography but when I look on the map index I find a few Henleys.
    Can anyone offer any advise, bearing in mind that the family were in Farringdon, Hampshire prior to this.
    Many thanks.:o
    Last edited by herky; 24-08-09, 21:08.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Most people would think of Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire. Its famous for it Rowing Regatta on the river which is quite wide there.

Anne

Comment

The most well known is in Oxfordshire.

Comment

Is that Farringdon, Hampshire?

I have CHRISTMAS links there (historically).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks - that is what I thought of - Henley Regatta etc.
          I will try Oxfordshire then.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I had a look on tha Hants OPC site, Knightroots: Welcome to Knightroots

There's no Hanley listed in the Hants parishes.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine - yes, sorry about the typo, Farringdon is what I meant.
              The family are in Farringdon in all the censuses up to and including 1871 then they disappear. My relative was bc 1874 so they must have moved between 1871 and 1874.
              I have them in 1871 and then they reappear in 1891 in Scotland.
              Why Scotland? Well that is another mystery.
              herky

Comment

Forgive me, Herky and Christine, but isn't Faringdon in Oxfordshire, on the road from Oxford to Swindon?

Roger

Edit: Have checked with road atlas, and Farringdon (with 2 rs) is near Exeter in Devon. (I'm even more confused now!)

OOPS!: Have done what I should have done in the first place, and Googled and found the Hampshire village, near Alton. Sorry, I was only trying to help.:o:o
                Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 24-08-09, 22:32.

Comment

Faringdon Oxon is at the junction A420 and A 417

Comment

It all gets so confusing with towns and villages sharing names.
                    The Farringdon that my relatives came from is in Hampshire and also has 2 rrs. It consists of Upper and Lower Farringdon.
                    herky

Comment

Hiya ...just been on Mapquest UK
                      Upper and Lower Farringdon are in Hampshire by Winchester
                      2 other Farringdon ..1 in Devon...1 in Tyne and Wear
                      Faringdon with 1 R is in Oxfordshire as stated between Swindon and Oxford on the A420.....Allan;)
                      ADDED...when you type in Farringdon the Hampshire Farringdon does NOT show....only when you type Upper or Lower ....allan
                      Last edited by garstonite; 25-08-09, 06:34.
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                        The Farringdon that my relatives came from is in Hampshire and also has 2 rrs. It consists of Upper and Lower Farringdon.
                        Just looked on Google maps. Your relatives must have been almost the sole inhabitants.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Getting back to the Henley question, there is a Henley also known as Henley Hill between Fernhurst & Easebourne in Sussex.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Just looked on Google maps. Your relatives must have been almost the sole inhabitants.
                            Don't be rude about it UJ! It must have had several inhabitants! My G-g-father, Edwin, was born there - as were his elder sister, and his three younger half-brothers. (Out of a total of twelve children: nine and three)

Christine

Comment

Mine were the Trimmer family and goodness only knows why they left Farringdon.
                              But like many of mine they do seem to have gone fair distances.
                              The have 2 children in Farringdon then this one in Henley and the next 2 possibly in Scotland. So I suppose it could be any of the Henleys as they seemed to be on the move north.
                              I am getting photocopies of the poor records in the next few days so hopefully I will see some more info that I didn't spot at 1st glance.
                              Thanks for the Sussex suggestion - I will have a look at that one.
                              herky

Comment

I would have said Henley-in-Arden, in Warwickshire. But then I have links to Tanworth-in-Arden.
                                Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Just to add (for no sensible reason) that some of my ancestors came from Faringdon (Great Faringdon) in Berkshire ~ which is now in Oxfordshire

There is also a Little Faringdon near by

Faringdon has a very pleasant website where you can take a virtual tour of the town
                                  ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Oh dear - so may Farringdons and Henleys - all adds to the fun of the search, I suppose.
                                    herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                                      It all gets so confusing with towns and villages sharing names.
                                      That's the one OH and I went to by mistake when we were trying to fathom it out ~ such a muddle as Faringdon (with one R) is also spelled with 2 Rs sometimes and other ancestors were from that area of Hampshire ~ near Alton and the Mid Hants Railway ~ wonderful to discover the Steam trains though

Isn't there a Farringdon in London ?
                                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                        Isn't there a Farringdon in London ?
                                        Yes indeedy. Original eastern terminus of the Metropolitan Railway. Just round the corner from Smithfield market.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X