WW1 Army Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Army Records

Is it possible on WW1 Army service records and Medal records on the same person to have different Regimental numbers?
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

My grandfather had two different Regimental Numbers because he was discharged unfit from the first regiment and then re-enlisted in a second one later. I presume he was fit again, but he was then killed in action.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

yes so does mine have more than one number

Comment

The number on the Service Record should be one of the numbers on the Medal Card though, I think.
        Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
          The number on the Service Record should be one of the numbers on the Medal Card though, I think.
          Not necessarily - if the man only served in the UK under his original number, it wouldn't appear on the MIC as home service didn't qualify for a medal. The first number on the MIC is the one under which he first served abroad.

It's very common to find more than one number, as apart from transfers to other regiments, the Territorial battalions were all re-numbered during the war.

Comment

I stand corrected but I'm just urging caution. With so many service records unavailable, it would be hopeful to say the least, to assume that records & cards with the same name relate to one person unless it's a very unusual name.
            Glen

Comment

If it is the same person, you may be able to tell from the information in the detailed record. The medal card record is usually very sparse.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

I have the service & medal records, but I'm not sure if it's the same person!
                as there is very limited details to do a cross reference.
                Steve.

Comment

If you tell us a bit more we can have a look.

Comment

Thanks Blackberry

The person's name is "Arthur Rowlett Burton" served in RAMC, discharged 8/3/1920.
                    DOB 21/12/1889
                    Steve.

Comment

OK, well from the service records, it looks like your chap didn't serve abroad, so the medal card can't be his.

I think the only cases where someone with home service only has a MIC, is if they were invalided out, in which case there would normally be a card for the Silver War Badge. But he wouldn't have qualified for any medals if he didn't go abroad, I'm afraid.

Comment

Blackberry,
                        did you find the service record on Ancestry?
                        Steve.

Comment

I did, yes. Some of it is very faint, but there are some duplicate sheets which are clearer.

Comment

Would TNA have any more detailed records?
                            Steve.

Comment

I think you'll find that the Ancestry records are TNA ones.

Not sure what else might be available.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think you could be awarded a medal without serving overseas.
                                (British War medal, & possibly Victory medal?)
                                What you didn't get was a star - these were only awarded if you had served overseas.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I don't think so, not campaign medals at any rate. You could qualify for the BWM without serving in a theatre of war, but you still had to serve abroad, eg India.

I'm no expert though - best place to ask is the Great War Forum.

Comment

Blackberry, I agree with you re campaign stars, to be awarded one of those you had to be involved in the overseas campaign.

I'm no military expert either, but I have a chap who was awarded both the British War medal & the victory medal. As far as we know, he was in the labour corps and never went overseas. Similarly, my friend tells me her gd-dad had an eyesight problem and flat feet, lol, but was conscripted and served as a cook on the Isle of Sheppey. He too received war & victory medals.

I think you received the war medal for serving in the forces between 1914 and 1918 and the victory medal for being in the forces 1917 - 1918?????

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                      Blackberry, I agree with you re campaign stars, to be awarded one of those you had to be involved in the overseas campaign.
                                      This one I do know: the 1914 Star was for service in France/Flanders between 4 Aug and 22 Nov 1914. The 1914/15 Star for service in a theatre of war after the latter date and before 1 Jan 1916.

I'm no military expert either, but I have a chap who was awarded both the British War medal & the victory medal. As far as we know, he was in the labour corps and never went overseas. Similarly, my friend tells me her gd-dad had an eyesight problem and flat feet, lol, but was conscripted and served as a cook on the Isle of Sheppey. He too received war & victory medals.
                                      "As far as we know" - aye, there's the rub! If they were awarded those medals, I think they must have gone abroad at some point.

I think you received the war medal for serving in the forces between 1914 and 1918 and the victory medal for being in the forces 1917 - 1918?????
                                      No, there were no date distinctions on those two medals. They could be awarded for service after 1918 as well, as hostilities continued after the Armistice in some theatres, eg Russia. The Great War did not officially end till 1921.

I think - but really the GWF is the place to go with this. If there are any exceptions or anomalies with this, somebody there will know.

Comment

Thanks to all for your comments.

I've placed a thread on B-G forums with the question.
                                        Steve.

Comment

Working...
                                        X