Newspaper report for Old Bailey case please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper report for Old Bailey case please

My GG Grandfather Paul Krauss Klein was tried at the Old Bailey on 14/9/1885 and sentenced to 5 years penal servitude. I have found the case on the Old Bailey website but it doesn’t state which prison he was sent to.

If anyone has access to the newspaper sites please could they find the case and let me know what happened to him. I have tried to find the case in the London Gazette but have had no luck (I’m probably doing it all wrong!)

Any help would be much appreciated.

There is a report on The Times but you have to pay and there is no guarantee it names the prison.
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

I don't where you live but does your local Library have access to The Gale 19th Century Newspaper Archive? I've found several articles on the trial but none which mention the prison but there may be others that I've missed.

If you can't get access to the database let me know and I'll try and copy and paste a couple for you. I don't know whether they'll tell you any more than the Old Bailey Trial itself tho'.
      Sue

Comment

Frazzle I have Pmd you
        colin

Comment

Thank you for your reply Jean. Will have a look.

Comment

I've found a couple of reports, including the one in the Times, but they don't say any more than the Old Bailey site. They don't say which prison he was sent to - I don't think newspaper reports normally do tell you that.

Comment

Thank you Sue for looking up the case for me. Colin has pm'd me and he is sending me a newspaper article to look at.

Thank you again for your time.

Comment

Thank you Mary. Looks like I won't be able to find out. Poor thing he was 50 when sentenced and 5 years hard labour cannot have been much fun!

Comment

Working...
                X