Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you think I should about this ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you think I should about this ......

On the 1911 census I have downloaded the transcript and this shows that my great grandparents William and Ellen Beaumont had 8 children in total, 2 who lived into their 60/70s, one who died before she was a year old. That leaves 5 to locate.

I have initially looked through the census to see if there were any other children but no other names have been mentioned. I can only assume that they have been born and died in between the census.

Do you have a suggestion as to how I can search for their births when I know the parents names, they lived around the Hackney, london area but possibly moved in the vicinity. I have no other information about this family at that time. Any suggestions please?

Thank you

What was William Place of Birth and year of birth?

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

This is another area that I am struggling with "William Beaumont" appears to be a popular name in London around 1861 is when I believe he was born. I was working backwards from the last known census that I have him recorded and that is 1891 where he is with his wife Emily in Hackney.

Comment

Do you know how many of them are still alive in 1911?

The column should say "Number of children born alive" and the other should say "Number of children still alive"

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Yes in 1911 the following were alive:
          William John Beaumont age 19 years
          Harriet Beaumont age 21 years
          The third child that I am aware of was called Emily and in the 1891 census she is 4 months old; this is slightly confusing as Harriet at that time was 7 months old. I think there is an error there!

Comment

Do you have Ancestry Gill?

There is a tree on there with William Beaumont and his wife Emily née Allen. On this tree Harriet and Emily were both born in 1890 but Emily died in 1891.

Comment

Do, does the census tell you that 3 children are alive and 5 are dead?

It is possible they were alive in 1911 but had not lived with their parents at the time of the censuses.

Did you get a transcript or the image? I think the number of live children (and dead children) is only on the image and not on the transcript.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I'm getting really confused what you are asking us to help you with here.

You start with a William and Ellen, then talk about a William and Emily, now mention a William and Harrriet.

Please can you clarify:
                Who you are looking for
                When were they born.

It looks like you are jumping from family to family with no cronological order or clear information.

List exactly who you have already found, on what census and if they are father/son etc please.

Thanks
                Trev

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

BTom[/B]Tom - [B]In the 1911 it says 8 born, 2 living, 6 dead. The 6 dead include Emily b c1891 ish. I have the image.

Frazzled - I do have ancestry. There are two trees on there which include William Beaumont, one belongs to my neice and one is to someone that I had not seen previously. My niece has William married to Emily Frost but the other tree has a William married to Emily Allen. I do not believe my neice has documentary evidence and will try to contact the other person to see if we are connected, however, I am not convinced!

Comment

I am sorry if I am confusing you and I will attempt to clarify:
                    My original enquiry was that William Beaumont and his wife Emily had, according to the 1911 census 8 children. I know of 2 who lived into their 60/70s, being William, my grandfather and my aunt Harriett. There was a third child on the 1891 census called Emily. These are all one family so I am not jumping around at all. Therefore there were 5 other children that I cannot account for and do not know their names. They must have been born in between the census as they do not appear on the 1891, 1901 or 1911.

My original enquiry was to suggestions as to how I can identify the names of the 5 other children born to William and Emily.

Thanks

Comment

If you look at births and deaths in Hackney for the period 1891 to 1911 you'll find that there are at least 8 Beaumont babies who died under 1 year old. One of these is Emily born Q1 1891 died Q3 1891. Of course, you won't know which of these belong to your family without getting the birth or death certificates.

Jane

Comment

You will have to look on free BMD and try to cross reference the birth and death indexes.

The following could be yours. They died in the Hackney district between 1891 and 1901:

Daisy, 0, 1891
                        Lilian, 0, 1893
                        Daisy, 0, 1895
                        Percy, 0, 1897
                        Male, 0, 1897
                        Charles Daniel, 2, 1898
                        Ernest, 0, 1898
                        Florence Maud, 0, 1899
                        Albert Ernest, 0, 1891
                        John Alfred, 0, 1906

Not sure how much earlier than that you would need to go, or whether you would need to extend your registration district. You will need to look at the possibles and see if any of them are family names or any that seem more or less likely to you.

Tom.

Comment

Breckland Jane - Thanks for your help.
                          Tom Tom - Thats brilliant, thank you. I appreciate that they are all not mine but that's really sad isn't it! Thanks again.

Comment

With that list you could prioritise: was your family in the habit of using one or two given names?

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No particular pattern of one or two names I am afraid. I was also thinking of prioritising by the use of previously used first names. Its probably going to be trial and error but I am sure I will get there. Thanks

Comment

Ah well. It was a nice idea while it lasted!

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                                  BTom[/B]Tom - [B]In the 1911 it says 8 born, 2 living, 6 dead. The 6 dead include Emily b c1891 ish. I have the image.

Frazzled - I do have ancestry. There are two trees on there which include William Beaumont, one belongs to my neice and one is to someone that I had not seen previously. My niece has William married to Emily Frost but the other tree has a William married to Emily Allen. I do not believe my neice has documentary evidence and will try to contact the other person to see if we are connected, however, I am not convinced!
                                  I think your niece may be right. I have found Emily Frost born 1862 in Kingsland in 1881 with her family in Hackney
                                  Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 292; Folio: 100; Page: 7;.

I cannot find an Emily Allen born with the same details.

The other name on the marriage details for William Beaumont and Emily is William James Farmer and in the 1891 census his wife Emily is born in 1864 Westbury, Wiltshire. I can't find an Emily Allen in the 1881 census but there are a lot of Allens in Wiltshire. So definately needs checking!!

Comment

Thanks. Further research shows a William Beaumont (my grandfather) with the Frost family, shown as grandson, in one of the census, can't remember which one. So I am fairly sure that Emily Frost is my lady.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                                    X