Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas how I can trace my GGG Grandmother's birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas how I can trace my GGG Grandmother's birth?

This is all I know about her.

My 3x G grandmother, Margaret HARRISON, was born about 1815. She married my 3x G grandfather, George Gideon Gustavus TIVERS, in St Anne Soho in 1836. Their only child, Charles George TIVERS, was born in Camden Town, London in 1837. She was widowed in 1838 when George G G died in Winchester, Hants. George G G's widowed mother's family lived in Winchester. I cannot find Margaret or Charles George on 1841 census, but it is possible they were living with her brother-in-law, Charles Cleveland Carter TIVERS & his family in Hersham, Surrey. Unfortunately the 1841 census records for this area are missing! Charles George lived with his uncle Charles C C for most of his childhood and until he married in 1865.

Margaret remarried in Winchester in 1844 to Arthur Henry COLBURN and had at least 4 children with him. I have this marriage certificate and her father is listed as John Harrison, cabinet maker, but it doesn't say whether or not he was deceased.

In 1851 census, Margaret's birthplace is listed as Honduras, West Indies.
    In 1861 and 1871 her birthplace is 'West Indies'.
    In 1881 and 1891 it again is listed as 'Honduras'.
    She died in Chertsey/Weybridge in 1892, although her age is shown as 81, making her year of birth 1811.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I would go about finding her birth? If her father was a cabinet maker, what would he be doing in the West Indies in 1811/1815? Or maybe he became a cabinet maker if and when he came (back?) to England.

Realistically, do I have any chance of finding her birth?
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 24-08-09, 16:24.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Ship's carpenter?

Comment

According to book found in Google search,A sourcebook for genealogical research page 40; Honduras civil registration records were not started until 1888

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Genealogy.com does have a forum for Honduras
        Honduras Genealogy Forum

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

You could try looking among the overseas births on FindmyPast or FamilyRelatives.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. From the Honduras Genealogy Forum suggested by Trevor I found a site detailing the history of Honduras, which I now think is named Belize. Apparently it was an area where timber was cut, especially mahogany, so maybe her father John worked in that industry.

I have looked on FindmyPast for a birth, but it is such a common name that I don't think I'd ever find the right one unless I ordered all documents about a Margaret birth with a father John!

I did find, in 1841 census, a John HARRISON, cabinet maker aged 60 in St Marylebone & District Workhouse. I suppose that is in the general area of Camden Town where Margaret's son was born, so maybe a connection there. I'll try to find a death that tallies.

I keep doing a bit of research on Margaret, then getting stuck again, then almost magically finding another clue. This time though I think I really have come to a dead end.

Maybe one day I'll strike lucky again. You never know, I might actually find someone else that is researching the TIVERS family
            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
            X