• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 new Ancestry WW2 databases

Just noticed that these are new on Ancestry and may be of interest

British Army Prisoners of War, 1939-1945 - Ancestry.co.uk

Army Roll of Honour, 1939-1945 - Ancestry.co.uk
    Jackie

Thanks for that Jackie, I've found my grandfather, although I know about his death & have visited his war grave in France, its good to see his name is not forgotten.
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Wow, thanks! - I've found my late father in law listed in the prisoners of war. We knew he was a prisoner and thought we knew where he was so this confirms our thoughts

Does anyone know what the significance of the 'Record Office' listed on the details means? Would that place have any other information, for example? (Search for WD EAST, to see what I mean)

Anne

Comment

found my uncle top of the list thanks for that

Comment

It only seems to have prisoners in German PoW camps, unless I'm missing something. Can't see any in Japan or Singapore, for example.

Comment

Thank you Jackie. Just found my dad as a POW. It doesn't tell me anything I didn't know but it's made me smile as it has got his rank as General - he was a private.

Jane

Comment

Oh many thanks found my Dads POW camp as well ;;;;so well cuffed with that
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I've just found my late Uncle Andy in Poland. He was sent to work down a salt mine and ever after had bad feet. It says he was in the Reconnaisance Corps though. I thought he was Royal Tank Regiment. Is that a part of the same thing?

Comment

Thank you.

The Far East, and the "forgotten army" don't seem to have been entered yet.
                  Joy

Comment

i have just found my great uncle.

hooray.
                    the meercat.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I've just found my late Uncle Andy in Poland. He was sent to work down a salt mine and ever after had bad feet. It says he was in the Reconnaisance Corps though. I thought he was Royal Tank Regiment. Is that a part of the same thing?
                      Father in law's says the same. Does your Uncle's record say the 'record office' is the Drill Hall, Barnet? It looks as though that also has data for the Royal Armoured Corps. I think the tank regiments were part of the RAC. We thought maybe Ancestry had assumed the Reconnaisence bit

So, Father in law was in a Tank Regiment, captured at Dunkirk and held in Stalag 344. Did he know your Uncle???? ;)

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                        Thank you Jackie. Just found my dad as a POW. It doesn't tell me anything I didn't know but it's made me smile as it has got his rank as General - he was a private.

Jane
                        Now that's what I call a promotion :D:D
                        Jackie

Comment

Jusat quick question can anyone tell me the site C???? about war dead , thought I had copied my uncles details from there but carnt find it in my favorites he was killed in the air so wanted to look on the honour part see if he got anything ????

Comment

I think this is the one you mean Babs (Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

:: CWGC ::
                            Jackie

Comment

Jackie thanks so very much found him now again ;;;and saved it under the initials lol

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                Father in law's says the same. Does your Uncle's record say the 'record office' is the Drill Hall, Barnet? It looks as though that also has data for the Royal Armoured Corps. I think the tank regiments were part of the RAC. We thought maybe Ancestry had assumed the Reconnaisence bit

So, Father in law was in a Tank Regiment, captured at Dunkirk and held in Stalag 344. Did he know your Uncle???? ;)

Anne
                                Anne,

Yes it does say that on ancestry.

Uncle Andy was in the desert and captured, sent as POW to Italy from whence he escaped. He and others managed to survive a fornight or so in a vineyard but were caught again and he was sent as POW to 344 in Silesia, Germany (now Poland according to websites). I didn't know the camp number till I checked yesterday. My understanding is that after liberation, he walked all the way to the France to get home. He would not be drawn on the subject in later life.

Having not seen a soul he knew throughout the war, he was astonished to hear a shout after he arrived at the muster point to wait for his boat. "Hey Andy Hiddleston, is that you man?" and he chummed an old school pal back to Scotland. I don't know who this pal was but he gave Andy the sad news that his best pal had not made it. He was a tail end Charlie and had been shot down in the last days of the war. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you a war photo of Andy to see if your FIL recognises him. Uncle Andy died last summer.

Comment

I've found my uncle - though I have to check whether the info is the same as I already have (recently found his army number and POW camp numbers)

He was captured at Tobruk and was in an Italian POW camp before being moved to Germany.

The record office on ancestry is: Infantry and Army Educational Corps Record Office, York.

Is this record office accessible does anyone know?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

As far as I know my uncle was captured in North Africa and shipped out to Germany for the duration of the war. I didn't know where until now but will have to check with my cousin to see if it is him. I know the war was something he was very tight lipped about.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                      Anne,

If you PM me your email address, I'll send you a war photo of Andy to see if your FIL recognises him. Uncle Andy died last summer.
                                      Unfortunately Father in law died several years ago. the only thing he told us about being released was that American tanks came and released them and "they had a donut machine in the tank" .... perhaps he was hallucinating!

Anne

Comment

I'd reckon he was spot on there Anne LOL

Comment

Working...
                                        X