Docx attachment problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docx attachment problem

A recent posting included an attachment in docx format. That meant it could only be opened by those with the latest version of Microsoft Office, 2007. The many computer owners using earlier versions were thus unable to offer their help. Please, if you use the latest version then first save your attachment in the familiar doc format. That way we can all see the attachment and perhaps help.

I have the earlier version of Word and when I tried to open the docx version it asked if I wanted to convert it. From memory I think I had to use the original install disc in during the process but I can now open any of those docx's. Don't know if this will help anyone but it is annoying especially if someone can't find their original install disc.
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

I have Word 2003 in my Office program and it uses .doc format. If I get a .docx format, it just converts it for me.

Comment

All you need to do is ask the sender to save it so it is compatible with Word 2003. The new Word 2007 has this facility.

Personally I don't like installing stuff on my computer which I don't need to. It is easy for the sender to save a copy so it can be read by the majority of us (I suspect :p) who are still in the dark ages of Word 2003 :D

Anne

Comment

Anne, that is exactly the point I was making. In addition many people don't use Office or Word at all, preferring to use alternatives like Open Office which can open and save in doc format. Particularly for things like signatures, I think jpeg would be even easier.

Comment

A simple solution is to install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack through Microsoft Update, so that you can use earlier versions of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word to open and to save files from 2007 Office programs: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack
            Sarah

Comment

None of which helps those, like me, who prefer the free Open Office which can open and save doc files. Although I have Word 97, perfectly adequate for my modest needs, I am not prepared to pay umpty-flump quid for an updated version with lots of bells and whistles plus other progs I don't use. I have, however, found a solution. You can download the Word 2003 Viewer, free from Microsoft. When you first run the prog it asks to download the file conversion gubbins. This done, I can now open and view docx files. Better, though, for the problem to be avoided in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                A simple solution is to install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack through Microsoft Update, so that you can use earlier versions of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word to open and to save files from 2007 Office programs: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack

Cloggie has the CORRECT solution for all those who use Office 2003 and receive the new Office 2007 format documents.

Download and install the compatibility pack and it WILL allow you to open .docx files in 2003.

As for all the comments regarding 'should have kept it in .doc format' etc.
                Progression is progression and the new Microsoft format allows much more intrigration with others in collaborating on documents (in an office environment) and with the intrigration with the new up-and-coming web technologies.

I expect all Open Office users save their files in .rtf format so that ANY word-processing software can read it?
                Probably not, they keep to that program’s default formats, thus others have compatibility problems with their documents at times.
                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 24-08-09, 17:31.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

In fact, Trevor, most Open Office users I know use the doc format, or OO's own formats, and certainly not RTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugless View Post
                    In fact, Trevor, most Open Office users I know use the doc format, or OO's own formats, and certainly not RTF.
                    That's exactly what I mean,
                    .doc is the Microsoft format.

any people who still use old versions of WordPerfect will not be able to open a .doc format.

So...............
                    using the logic of your previous comment re being forced to upgrade, why do you and the others not save in the correct format than any word processor can read and that is .RTF (Rich Text Format)?

Afterall, you are forcing them to change software they purchased 10 years ago so they can read your documents then.

Overall, I'm not meaning to be sarcastic, just pointing out that Open Office users are no different to Microsoft Word, in regards to considering the audience for their documents.

Researching:
                    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                    X