Mortlake Surrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortlake Surrey

Hello wonder if anyone can help me regarding parish registers for Mortlake Surrey.

Thomas Blunt m. Ann <Gibson> had the following children there before moving to a new area.

Elizabeth Ann Blunt chr 20 Sep 1807
    Ann Eliza Blunt chr 15 March 1809
    Charlotte Blunt chr 4 August 1811

I got these details from IGI (it does tie in with census records) but does anyone know what church they would have been christened in?

Would the parish registers tell me his occupation or address? I'm hoping that it would say Butler/agent.

Also looking for Thomas' marriage to Ann.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: please excuse me if I don't answer any queries until later this evening
    Last edited by ~~Lesley~~; 24-08-09, 08:16.

Hi Lesley

If you have a look at the Wiki on here, there seems to be 3 churches listed for Mortlake
    Surrey Towns and Parishes M - Family Tree Forum

If you contact the member who took the photos they might be able to tell you more if they are local to the area
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

I lived in Mortlake/East Sheen as a teenager. I remember the RC church was fairly modern. The older Church - St Mary the Virgin was much older possibly Victorian. There was also the problems with being RC at that time. Children had to be christened in a protestant church.

Must go now

Comment

The Roman Catholic church, St Mary Magdalen's, didn't open until 1852. So, are you saying that prior to that the catholics were christened at the C of E church, St Mary the Virgin?
        Jeanette

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for your help so far

I think the family would more likely have been CofE or Protestant as that seemed to the pattern in my family so far. However, I may be wrong.

On a completely different branch of the family I found an Irish ancestor this month who happened to be Catholic so have been reading a little more about them.

I think I came across something only yesterday whilst surfing which implied that Catholics may have been christened in CofE churches before a certain date. However, I wasn't quite sure.

Also with the same Irish ancestor, where I had assumed they were married in a registry office on Lancashire bmd because of the registrar attending, it actually mean they were married in a catholic church and because the Priest was not a registrar, a registrar had to attend the wedding.

With this family, it may be best if I look as to whether the later children were christened in CofE or catholic churches (for some reason they were christened in 3 separate churches). This was outside of this area. I've only just started to look at their christenings so will try and fathom something out. sorry I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Thanks again.
          Last edited by ~~Lesley~~; 24-08-09, 19:13.

Comment

Just to confirm that the younger children were christened in Cof E churches.

Comment

Sorry Lesley, I didn't answer your other query

The parish register usually gives the occupation of the father. It generally doesn't give an exact address but more usually the village, hamlet or district in which they live.

I have a question for you now ;) How do you know that Thomas's wife was Ann Gibson? Is her maiden name given for one of the other children's baptisms?
              Jeanette

Comment

yes, Jeanette after years of speculating that it was the right family, ie right name of father as per his marriage certificate, no other people with that surname at all in the area he was born in, one of his grandchildren & great granchildren having the same first and middle name as one of his sisters*, I found his baptism (right age) with a slight spelling variation the other night on freereg. Blount instead of Blunt. It is on his christening that freereg lists his mother's name. His younger siblings were also born there.

However, the elder children were born in Mortlake on the census records and their ages, names and father's name matches the christenings above.

Comment

Working...
                X